Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high SPL, low distortion with a 2-way?

15PR400 will play upto 1 kHz, I've personally experienced it.

Little brother of the modular SCR-series, with XT1086 + B&C DE250 + 12TBX100 :

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

This is where DIY (literally) pays off. The MSRP of this small 2-way is about $6000, that's USD.

Attachments

• pro_productsheets_scr-12sm.jpg
    pro_productsheets_scr-12sm.jpg
    483.2 KB · Views: 480
Last edited:
Design looks modular and serious. I like it. What woofers and 1.4” coaxial would it possibly be using?

I have sold my 4 beyma 15g40 woofers and purchased a pair of faital 15pr400. Hopefully they will be better suit playing upto 1khz.

I think you're going to beat me to it Tuyen, I haven't had time to put something together for mine but I have played with the minidsp hd + umik, good kit.

JBL 2352 horn + BMS 4595ND, 2x B&C 15TBX100, XO @ 500Hz with 8th order slopes:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

My modular version: bms4594 on xt1464 2x rcf mb12n405
XO @ 650Hz with 16th order slopes

but alas, all high passed @100Hz, cause can't no dang 2-way make high spl bass!!! :D LoL

Attachments

• mod stack.jpg
    mod stack.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 431
15PR400 will play upto 1 kHz, I've personally experienced it.

Little brother of the modular SCR-series, with XT1086 + B&C DE250 + 12TBX100 :

This is where DIY (literally) pays off. The MSRP of this small 2-way is about $6000, that's USD.

Love the look of that!!!!!!!!!!

That mtm with 18sounds horn is sexy. If I made a mtm, to put the horn at ear level would put the top of the deal inches away from the ceiling, isn’t that unacceptable? Now the deal with xdir and polars is sorted. I like the idea of putting the top of the 1st woofer at ear level pretty much splitting the difference/distance between it and the horn. The polar is wide enough for it and the horn can be angled down slightly. If the dispersion from the woofers would allow...I’d opt to put the horn at ear level.
I’m wondering, does driver spacing in a mtm dictate a minimal listening distance?

That mtm with 18sounds horn is sexy. If I made a mtm, to put the horn at ear level would put the top of the deal inches away from the ceiling, isn’t that unacceptable? Now the deal with xdir and polars is sorted. I like the idea of putting the top of the 1st woofer at ear level pretty much splitting the difference/distance between it and the horn. The polar is wide enough for it and the horn can be angled down slightly. If the dispersion from the woofers would allow...I’d opt to put the horn at ear level.
I’m wondering, does driver spacing in a mtm dictate a minimal listening distance?

The crossover point needs to be considered with the center to center distance in mind. < 2/3rds WL c-c per D'appolito. If the box is near the ceiling, consider a chunk of mineral wool to fill the gap between the top of the box and the ceiling.

I can walk up to within a meter of my MTM's before the sound has significantly degraded, with a 13.5 inch c-c. The horn centerline is at ear level when seated.

I haven't measured the polars with a microphone yet, so please understand this is subjective.

In the past, numbers like 10x inter-driver distance and 8x inter-driver distance have been mentioned, though I have not seen evidence that this is true for large MTM or Synergy type builds. On the Synergy horns, it has been mentioned that one can walk up to the horn and stick your head inside the horn and it sounds like 'one' driver.

One thing to consider is the wavelengths produced by the two bass drivers and the inter-driver distance ( time ) from your ears. At long wavelengths, my belief is that the result of an off-axis listening position will be less problematic than having a small MTM that runs the mid bass units high in frequency to a small dome tweeter, assuming the same angular displacement, even though the devices are physically closer.

One thing to consider is the wavelengths produced by the two bass drivers and the inter-driver distance ( time ) from your ears. At long wavelengths, my belief is that the result of an off-axis listening position will be less problematic than having a small MTM that runs the mid bass units high in frequency to a small dome tweeter, assuming the same angular displacement, even though the devices are physically closer.

This is true.
I have a few pairs of (hifi) MTMs which exhibit those characteristics.

If large MTM's were problematic and inadequate in this regard, why would respected companies build them in the first place (JBL, Pro Audio Technology, Rey Audio, Usher etc.)?
Moreover, by using DSP, one could manipulate the lobes.

Last edited:
In the end it's a matter of preference and also dependent on your room.

If I would listen mostly to light jazz and vocal music, I could happily live with a set of Quad ESLs.

Some 'vocal fetishists' prefer BBC type of monitors (Harbeth, Spendor, Falcon etc.)

Been through most of the regular hifi stuff.

However, if you want large scale dynamics....nothing beats cubic inches.

It's like the 500 cu in (8.2L), 6.5 meters long, Fischer bodied Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham Limousine I drove on the cramped streets along the canals of Amsterdam during my studies ;)

cadi1973fw75limo.jpg

Last edited: