Is inrush current limiter responsible for quieter power transformer?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
someone like me in the QA dept trying to determine where it will break.
I do not like using the NTC either, they can get very hot under a fault condition.
I like the Pioneer method of having a big R (3R3/20W) in series with the transformer primary and a relay to short it out soon after power is applied. You also put a thermal fuse in series with the Big R, touching the big R, so that if there is a fault the thermal fuse will blow opening up the circuit.
:cheers:

I like the Pioneer method of having a big R (3R3/20W) in series with the transformer primary and a relay to short it out soon after power is applied. You also put a thermal fuse in series with the Big R, touching the big R, so that if there is a fault the thermal fuse will blow opening up the circuit.
I have that too, for my upcoming amp project.

Attachments

• Soft start kit 2.JPG
    Soft start kit 2.JPG
    421.7 KB · Views: 172
Joined 2011
Paid Member

That approach seems to be the most conservative and safest of all. Unlike an NTC, a power resistor can be cycled five or ten times in rapid succession, and provide inrush protection each time. (An NTC would remain hot, thus low resistance, allowing huge inrush on power cycles #2 thru #10). If the relay fails, the power resistor heats both itself and the thermal fuse, so the thermal fuse opens, protecting the amplifier and giving you a chance to replace the bad relay and the popped thermal fuse.

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I use a thermistor which I then short out with a relay. Thermistors designed for mains protection can handle very high energies for short periods and they are compact.

Personally, I would not just rely on a thermistor on its own for an application like an audio amplifier. Thermistors work best where the load is very well defined and you can guarantee that after some period the thermistor resistance would have reduced to the point where the dissipation would be acceptable.

These guys have some useful products and information Inrush Current Limiters - Thermistors | Ametherm

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Last edited:
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
We really need to look at what's happening with the peak currents into the transformer to decide whether its DC on the mains, or the core is possibly saturating on the peaks.

Seems to me just slapping a 2 ohm in series with the primary to reduce noise is hardly a robust way to solve this issue.

You could try getting hold of a current transformer and monitoring the output on a scope for example.

A low inductance in series with a rectifier reduces charging current spikes and widens them. As said, the initial inrush current can be controlled with a wirewound resistor that is shorted as soon as system reaches stability. This can be done using a thyristor if an inductor is used after a rectifier bridge. If not, a triac or mechanical relay can be used.

Evenharmonics, can you confirm the NTCs are bypassed after a delay?
I bought it on eBay. It's a Chinese made kit. In the working principle, it says, "When the power is turned on, power is supplied to the load through a negative temperature coefficient thermistor, as the thermistor temperature increases, the resistance drops, the voltage rises slowly, thus effectively inhibiting the inrush current impact on the line and other electrical appliances. About 2 seconds after the relay ttracts gathers, short circuit thermistor, the power supply through the relay contacts directly to the load, the load into the normal working condition."

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.