• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Is Hammond 274BX still the best choice for SSE power transformer?

Joined 2011
Paid Member
The 274BX will work for sure, but if I was to do it again I would choose the 374BX for its more stout HV winding (higher current capability), and additional primary windings.

If you decide on the 274BX, keep in mind the Allied 6K7VG is basically a re-labelled 274BX (made by Hammond), and is an equally sufficient choice.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Hey Chet, I am guessing you have already made your purchase, but just in case you haven't I am here to offer you a brand new (never used) 274BX for free. You pay shipping only (which won't be cheap but still cheaper than ordering a new one from an online store).

If Chet doesn't want it, maybe someone else does?

I'm moving to Japan so it is useless to me, and I don't have the time to sell it. I really don't want to throw it out.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
@mpri and @mogsailor, it just occurred to me that I also have an Allied 6K7VG (currently installed in my SSE) that is of no use to me. It makes no sense to ship my SSE to Japan with that installed, only to replace it later with a transformer that can take 100v on the primary. It is used, but works perfectly. I could uninstall it and ship it to someone. Same deal as the 274BX - you pay shipping only.

cogitech,

I'd be very happy to accept your more-than-generous offer for the Allied 6K7VG transformer. I have most of the parts to build an SSE including 3 new Edcors. It appears that the Allied might be a better choice for the power transformer. I would be very pleased to get it.

If you still want to do this, please email me at f r s c h u c h at gee m a i l dot c o m I will then furnish my particulars and arrange for payment.

All the best,

Fred

Reactions: 1 user