Is a subwoofer needed for musical enjoyment?? dont argue folks(discussion)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here's a few.....

Paula Cole: The Fire - Tiger
Madonna: Ray of Light - Sky Fits Heaven
311: Transistor ....... Take your pic here, since they all have pretty decent bass content.
Sarah McLachlan: Mirrorball - I Love you - Ice Cream - Fumbling Towards Ecstasy

I have a crap load of organ CDs that have plenty of bass at and well below 20Hz, but since you don't, there's no way of measuring them.

Tiger - that song has crazy bass. Also Impressive Instant by Madonna, Pink Floyd - Money, Enya - Longships.

I love Mirrorball it's my favorite CD, I'm going to see her in July. I can't wait.

chops said:
Here's a few.....

Paula Cole: The Fire - Tiger
Madonna: Ray of Light - Sky Fits Heaven
311: Transistor ....... Take your pic here, since they all have pretty decent bass content.
Sarah McLachlan: Mirrorball - I Love you - Ice Cream - Fumbling Towards Ecstasy

I have a crap load of organ CDs that have plenty of bass at and well below 20Hz, but since you don't, there's no way of measuring them.

ok I did a few more
I tried to pick one from everyone that posted recently

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

the first one is Bjork - leaving on a jet plane
it peaks at 39hz @ -9.6db and hits it -35db @ 25hz

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

the intro to dark side of the moon...yes it does get pretty loud at a low note to boot 34hz@ -7.6db and has a -35db@18hz

madonna - sky fits heaven ....pretty good LOW bass song...its main musical passages sit in the mid 40s - 70hz range but those synth passages in the middle and at the end really are low - high 20s to high 30s at -11db to -8db
peak for the song is 73hz@-7db and doesn't even hit -35db :)

sting - a thousand years

good song, peaks with 53hz@ -9db but the best part is very nice amount of low bass content in the high teens all the way up to the low 30s that is -21db at the lowest and -14db at the highest...definitely a song to have a sub that can go LOW on

dire straights - telegraph road
ehhh I wouldn't really rank this song with the rest of them, the sub bass peak is 55hz@ -11.5db and -35db@28hz
the midbass peak in the song was actually a couple db louder and it happened around 100hz....loudest passages in the song happen between 90-110hz with -9db area

Cal Weldon said:

Unless you are into pipe organs, I don't think you'll find there is a whole lot below 30Hz.

Yes there actually is, Roland TR-808 bass drum kick extends
down to nearly DC. Also the drum synths I use in SynC Modular
go nearly to DC with kick drum. Most musicians cut information below 40 Hz away, but the difference is huge (even with just
headphones) and I don't do that for that purpose.

My ears don't hear well below 40Hz. Below that I have to feel the music. I can't tell the difference in the vibrations be they 35Hz or 20Hz.

My ears hear down to 18 Hz. I can't hear below that however,
I have tried with no success (I only hear the distortion from
the speaker), but 20 Hz is still fully heardable. It requires
more SPL than average person might use, but it can be heard
pretty easily. I can heard 30 Hz sine very well. It is rather
annoying frequency. I tend to like 25 Hz more which is my
favourite. Of course not every speaker will reproduce down
there with full output. My subwoofer does and so does my
headphones (Sennheiser HD-600). Of course not every
headphone preamplifier reproduces faithfully down there, but
it appears that the headphone output of our Yamaha DSP-AX1
quite sufficiently reproduces the lowest bass too.

Most of the vibrations attributed to "chest thumping bass" are around 50 - 80 Hz.

20 Hz indeed is not chest thumbing bass. I don't know how
notes below 40 Hz should be felt, but for some reason I usually
feel quite nothing despite I can feel it if my clothes
wiggle at 20 Hz if I am near to the transducer.

If someone doubts if there is any music with low bass, but
there is. One example is my own music which has high pass
set to 16 Hz, not to 40 Hz like in most pop music. My Nord Modular
and Virus extends easily down to 20 Hz. Also Vangelis has
quite nice low bass information in some songs. Try for example
Blade Runner soundtrack -album. Also my music friend, Mike Andrews, has some low bass in his music. For example:
http://www.iti.fi/mikeandrews/mp3/08.Slaves to the Machines/09.Mike Andrews - Paranoid.MP3
I haven't however measured how low this example goes, but
I get some output from our subwoofer with this at least.

There is also one thing one can do if there is not sufficient
bass in some certain album - for that purpose I have
Behringer EX-1200 subharmonic synthesizer. The artificial
low harmonics are quite artificial but sometimes it is rather
beneficial to use it and adds to for example otherwise very
boring sounding pop-music some bottom that would be
missing otherwise.

Best Wishes,
Karoliina

"My ears don't hear well below 40Hz. Below that I have to feel the music. I can't tell the difference in the vibrations be they 35Hz or 20Hz."
I must say I doubt that applies to the majority. The difference between 20 and 35hz (on a good sub) is easy to detect, they just sound completely different! One is loud at a given volume setting, and one is quiet, and disturbing - makes me feel agitated and panicky (that'd be the 20hz tone...).

Karoliina,
Interesting comments as ever, I too think 25hz is a very cool frequency - it's about right for making neon lights and doors rattle in their fixtures! There's nothing like playing 3rd octave bands of 20 and 25hz through a Tempest sub to annoy the neighbours, lol!

edit: terrible news in Finland :(

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.