Is a hot garage bad for speakers and stereo equipment?

The title says it all, folks.

Is a hot garage bad for speakers & stereo equipment (besides shortening the life of electrolytic caps). I know temperatures below freezing can be very bad if you’re using it but I searched for heat damage on the google without success.

One of the hidden blessings I’ve found during the terrible, horrible, no good, very bad times we live in is that some projects that have been on my to do list for a loooong time are getting done now. Next up for me is a 3-4 way open baffle that I’m going to put in the garage (digital active).

I’ve had most of the drivers just taking up shelf space for several years. I am ecstatic about actually doing this project but I’m also concerned about the hot garage - also one of the drivers are EV SP12B’s that are in really good shape. Not sure if they would be more sensitive to heat than newer drivers.

I appreciate any wisdom you can send my way.

Thanks,
goody75

Last edited:
A hot garage likely won't reach the temperature at which capacitors are affected. Their operating temps can be higher than your garage.

If you don't let it get too bad, I can't see damage happening. But yeah, air out your garage. It doesn't need to be 140 degrees in there!

I'm on the gulf coast USA and it gets really humid here (and hot). I've kept quite a few modern drivers (treated paper cone, rubber surround, etc...) in my garage for a few years and I never saw any issue. These sat in their original boxes, protected from light and dust.

Vintage stuff may not fair as well. The adhesives and materials used are not as stable, and being in a hot environment accelerates this ageing. This goes especially for paper and older natural/synthetic rubbers. modern stuff is stable on an order of magnitude longer, so while you are ageing faster in a hot garage than a climate controlled home, you are still left with plenty of lifespan (on the order of a human lifespan).

In a previous life I did accelerated ageing of various polymers using anything from sophisticated ovens with salt fog, to crock pots full of sea water. Heat ages.

Electronic components don't care. As long as UV light isn't present and humidity during operation is within tolerance, the garage is fine. Storage temp for electrical components is well above. Cold is another story -- there are some places on earth that get cold enough to cause problems, but they are also places that have problems with Diesel fuel turning into gel, so my guess is this doesn't apply here.

For speakers would depend on the materials, I assume foams and paper cones would deteriorate faster with temperature cycling or sustained high/low temps and moisture around.

For electronics, if you are in the storage range of the equipment/components (assuming you are storing the equipment only) then there should be no real major problems. Assuming humidity (and therefore corrosion) is not a problem.

Electronics generally operate just fine in temperatures where humans are comfortable, or can just survive, for the matter ;)
As temperatures rise, the most important component to keep cooled is the listener module. If external climate control isn't available, as is often the case in a home's garage, it is recommended that cold liquids such as beer, whiskey on the rocks, jug wine, and similar be used to keep the listening module at a comfortable temperature. :)

A bit more seriously, the only thing I disagree with is that OP said freezing temps are bad for electronics. Yes and no. No until you get down to superconducting temps, which is unlikely at home :) But yes mainly if condensation is possible. Usually frost or water is an issue if you bring something indoors from sub-freezing outside.

The comments about the seasonal extremes of temperature found in the garage or attic are pertinent. Such is not a great way to store many things. Just the same, if it's modest cost gear, probably not worth the worry. Also unlikely but possible: bugs live in or damage your gear. I live in FL so bugs perhaps worse than elsewhere. I had a cheap (Walkman style) pair of headphones that something ate the fabric covers off of the phones, still in the original sales packaging :D

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
No AC in my garage Leoman. I can only work out there in the early mornings in the summer. I've tried to work later in the day, but end up stunned, dazed and confused. Yes, we have air you can sink your teeth into.

I have some speakers both new and vintage out there. I haven't seen any damage to them or any of the electronics.

Thank you everyone for your responses.

I definitely intend on using the gear in the garage. I was looking for:) a green light :)

Soldermizer:
To clarify my original comment about cold weather. I am talking about great that will be used in cold weather. What I have read is that at temperatures near freezing, moisture from the air can condensate in places like the inside of an amplifier... bad things follow.

goody75

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Condensation occurs when you bring a cold object into a warm, moist environment, so you will be fine.
Just give it a chance to warm up a bit before you turn it up loud, material expansion rates not being equal.

After a few minutes it will sound normal and you can crank it right up.

Up to 110 in the summer....30 in the winter. No problems for speakers or electronics. All prosound based gear if that makes a difference.

If my car speakers/electronics can handle 135 with the windows shut and 25 during winter, I think you're fine.

Salt seems more worrisome to me if you're on the coast.