is a Dipole exotic?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If it's not maybe I should be bumped to another forum but someone else posted about dipoles so here goes. >_>

Is there anything special about dipole speakers that's different than say, having two of the same speaker mounted back to back out of phase to face forward and backwards? Like lets say I wanted to have a dipole surround which matches the mids/tweeters of other speakers, could I just use two of the same model back to back like that... or is there something else special about the output or dispersion pattern or something to keep in mind?

At least two surround configurations i've read about specifically request dipole surrounds on some but not all channels.

If it's not maybe I should be bumped to another forum but someone else posted about dipoles so here goes. >_>

Is there anything special about dipole speakers that's different than say, having two of the same speaker mounted back to back out of phase to face forward and backwards? Like lets say I wanted to have a dipole surround which matches the mids/tweeters of other speakers, could I just use two of the same model back to back like that... or is there something else special about the output or dispersion pattern or something to keep in mind?

At least two surround configurations i've read about specifically request dipole surrounds on some but not all channels.

I know a german dipole design in which two tweeters were used. The reason was that the tweeters were closed designs while midrange and woofers were open design. So they needed a second one for dipole action. Don't know anymore which way ('polarity') the tweeter was connected. With the second tweeter the indirect soundfield will be more balanced, just like the direct sound. It measured very well.

I think that dipoles exist in a different section, as they are in most parts conventional. Dipole based ideas are very popular, and should in my opinion have their own section, as you see posts on this subject in each of the loudspeaker sections.

The overlap between DIY dipoles and DIY conventional speakers is greater than DIY dipoles and DIY Electrostatics, Air Motion Transformers, Piezoelectric, Ribbon and planar magnetic, Bending wave, Digital, Plasma and NeXT based speakers.

This said this forum is a catch all for all of us who don't fit neatly into the other categories. So in Summary if I was a moderator / admin on this site, I would make a new section, and move your thread and many from the subwoofer, multiway, and fullrange forums.

Unless some one creates a new forum section, I say welcome to the chaos that is planars-exotics.

I think that dipoles exist in a different section, as they are in most parts conventional. Dipole based ideas are very popular, and should in my opinion have their own section, as you see posts on this subject in each of the loudspeaker sections.

The overlap between DIY dipoles and DIY conventional speakers is greater than DIY dipoles and DIY Electrostatics, Air Motion Transformers, Piezoelectric, Ribbon and planar magnetic, Bending wave, Digital, Plasma and NeXT based speakers.

This said this forum is a catch all for all of us who don't fit neatly into the other categories. So in Summary if I was a moderator / admin on this site, I would make a new section, and move your thread and many from the subwoofer, multiway, and fullrange forums.

Unless some one creates a new forum section, I say welcome to the chaos that is planars-exotics.
Oh and I would create a Horn speaker section too, Best regards.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.