IRS2092 with IRFB4227 problem!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

I have design with IRS2092 and one pair IRFB4227
configuraton : +-80 rail, VCC=15.5V measured on board, driver for IRFB4227
is ZXTN25100BFH and ZXTP25100BFH, Rb for driver is 0R and Rg for mosfet is also 0R, switching frequency is 380kHz, DT is 105ns, amplifier has power around 550W RMS with 1khz sine wave for 4ohm, but driver for mosfet is very hot around 70-90°C, if I change Rg to 4R7, duration of rise edge is longer and mosfet are very hot, next feedback consist of 1k and 100K resistors and
150pF cap, 1k resistor is also very hot(90°C) footprint is 1206, Does anyone know why? thanks.

With NPN/PNP buffers? How long was it? How much length added?
In my experience NPN/PNP buffers without base resistor can become erratic at high current, as the gate voltage temporarily swings below the source during fast "current transfer" process (OFF, or reverse recovery) and internal diodes in driver IC clamp the drive output (base) to source potential, so the gate can get charge momentarily dumped into it when the expected situation is charge being removed. The base resistor in the NPN/PNP buffers limits base current in this case.

In other words, the problem with the output resistance built into gate driver ICs is that it has inherent clamping diodes to gate drive rails. And in high current high speed switching gate swings momentarily below source.

This is the reason IR engineers left the location for the resistor, although in this application it might not be needed. A trap for copiers too haha

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.