Iraud350

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi,
does anyone have experience with these boards?

Assembled IRAUD350 mono Power amplifier board Class D AMP board | eBay

seems to be very interesting. especially for me as i have no experience in diy amps and these boards seem to have power supply and speaker protection included.
how do they compare to other irs2092 boards, like l15-l25d?

as i am no expert. does one board need 2x20-2x58v?
so i would need one transformer for each mono board?
or could i use one transformer for two mono boards, building a stereo amp?

am i right in thinking that do this board can be stable to drive 2 ohm for the less of power (i really would be satisfied with half of the output power). so i should use transformer with about 25-30 volt?

thanks
stefan

as i am really a newbie in building amps i had a look at some formulas. so i think i learne a few things. maybe one could confirm, or not if i am wrong of course;)

sorry if i am not talking with the right technical terms

1. i can "set" the min. load impedance by looking at the max. output power the amp can do before "melting" and decrease the input voltage.

watt=ampere x volt

so in this case 700 watt at 2x58 ac at 4ohm load. regarding that wattage is fixed and ampere will increase with for example 2 ohm load, i have to lower input voltage to 2x29 ac right?

2. output voltage of the transformer will not change equal how many amp boards i connect. right?
so i could connect two boards to one transformer with 2x29 ac.

3.i will have to look at the max watt(=va) of the transformer if i connect to boards to one transformer. right?
so in my case the transformer should have 1400 va (watt) which would mean about 25 ampere at 2x29 volt ac. or is the va /wattage a product of ampere and dc volt?

so all in all if it seems i have to find a transformer with not too much voltage but much many ampere...., right?

apart from that could be a problem, i think this board could be a good solution for a powerful yet stable class d amp...

the amp in the example should have:

175 Watt/8 ohm
350 Watt 4 Ohm
700 Watt 2 Ohm
all at 0,1% THD...

if i am right....

let me know if i am wrong in the points above. as i said i never build an amp before and concerning about these themes just for a few days....

thanks
stefan

IRFB23N15D are 150V fets. 2x58V AC means about 2x80V DC, so total 160V.
Can it take? Maybe for a while...
The wattage ratings are also overrated. See IR's refrerence design. For 150V FETs IR reccomends max 2x60V DC supply (bus pumping, overshoots etc...) and states about 125W to 8 Ohm and 250W to 4 Ohm (half bridge like these amps) undistorted.
not AC but DC, 58 Vdc... and this is 700w peak into 4, so lets say 350Wrms into 4R

So what's people's opinions of this board, I'm looking for something like this to drive a 15" woofer as part of my setup, it's to run along side two active 10" mid bass and two horn tweeters so I can take a bit of the bass of the tens and run them slightly higher. Any thoughts?

I bought similar kit some time ago...
Ebay amps like to blow up after some normal use.

Fake crap is in use, fake components and so on, low end stuff.

"LMFAO 700W my *** this **** barely puts out 100W at THD over 500%"

This sould dire yo 15" woofa with ease, i would buy something from 41hz or so...

I like the board ... but

I ordered two of these boards .. they have about 1.5x the heat sink of the L25D board that chokes on high current. The boards I got were iraud350, but the transistors were 200 volt and labelled b23n20D.. checking the specs on that revealed that they should be able to handle a little more power than the irfb4020 used on the L25D boards that did not satisfy me. Their primary advantage was a lower thermal resistance. However, their gate charge is high at 57 nc .. because of that, the manufacturer heat sinked the rs2092 chip ..

Unfortunately, one of my boards died 2 minutes after first charge-up .. some kind of birth defect .. the board had some strange behaviors, and the transistors shorted through ... note: when the transistors on this board short through, the board takes damage because you can not place a fuse between the caps on the board and the transistors. The caps were pretty substantial, and the board took the brunt of it. The other board had no issue, but I haven't tested it at high power yet.

I'll be wondering about replacing the transistors with irfb4227 as this transistor has just a little higher gate charge and a lot lower internal resistance. I have some of those on order already ...

also ... as well as I can tell, this board has no gate resistor to slow the incoming charge ... part of the need for the heat sink on the irs2092 ..

the irfb4020 transistor required only 18 nc of charge .. but the l25d board seemed to have problems charging it in time because it was tripping ... reducing the gate resistor to 10 ohms helped but did not solve the problem I'm starting to wonder if the gate charge doesn't require a ground plane on the other side of the board and the use of a smd resistor rather than through hole .. in any case ... can't see a gate resistor on the iraud 350 board at all. I do see a 4.7 ohm resistor in almost the right place, but only one of them, and it is not quite properly positioned .. there would have to be two if there was one ... seeing better would require disassembling the board. So, this board is giving me clues on how to use the irs2092 .. it appears that a heat sink can help with the gate charge problem.

So the board comes across as pretty convincing haven't stressed it yet though. I suspect that 500/700/900 watts are exaggerations. don't think the components are designed for that much current, but 400 watts at 4 ohms may be believable ... also, the caps are 80 volt, so realistically, that means you need to limit your power supply to +- 70 and if your board uses the 15d transistors, better drop it lower than that.

I have 4 boards and while it says "iraud350" the newest version is iraud550, same but with SP protection.

All 4 is dead. 2 was DOA and 2 failed after maybe 30min of calm music.

Along1986 on Ebay refused to refund me cos he says it was my fault. -idiot-talk! If i sent all boards back to China they could refund me (or ebay) but hell, cost as much as the boards. F******* retards!

I'm not so technical as you but i saw with my clear eye that each board had different transistors.. Not so concistent :(

more about iraud350

ok ... the board says to use transistor irfb4227, but they used cheaper transistors on my board. .. however, that was not the reason for the failure I experienced. I don't know yet why my board failed, but one thing that has to be watched here is that the class B amplifiers seem to disturb each other of there is too much galvanic connection. Some descriptions of the board have asserted that you can't run two of them on a single power supply with a single ground. .. The two irs2092 chips disturbing each other over HF leakages could explain failures. However, the board that I had that failed didn't seem to be behaving properly. I think it may have in deed had a birth defect.

ok, so one of the things that can go wrong is that a lot of these ads claim that you can use +-80 volts .. then, the boards have 150 volt transistors .... Look, it's like this ... the 150 volt transistors should not do more than +-60 volts. Next, it appears that the proper transistors are irfb4227, and the irs2092 chip should have a heat sink on it because irfb4227 requires a high gate charge ... but it's the only transistor that will come close to handling the 700/900 watt claims.

What I'm guessing happened to you is they claimed +-80 volts, you put something high on there, and they put the cheesy 150 volt transistors on there .... or ... you put two boards on a single power supply ... .. and they didn't warn you about that .. they don't know a damned thing, and neither does ebay, so you got screwed. However, the fellow I ordered from if he has any sense, won't even respond to my request for repayment because he would have seen that I am an EE capable of spotting him somehow, and letting ebay know what may be going on. that could trip off ebay and hang him up.

So, there is a good chance that the boards could be repaired by replacing the transistors with irfb4227 as well as the irs2092 chip .. Replacing the irs2092 chip requires a hot air soldering station. I had a class d board that toasted two transistors .. I replaced them and it worked .. then it toasted two more and after replacement, they instantly blew ... that tells me that there may or may not be extra damage, but considering the size of the caps on the 350 board, chance of having evaded extra damage on the board is slim .. better just replace the irs2092 and check other components for damage as well before firing the thing back up.

Next .. keep the boards on separate power supplies, and make sure the irs2092 has a heat sink .. It may work to put inductance in the ground lines ... but I wouldn't promise that. That could also potentially cause a failure.

The ebay sales people are probably just trying to do a business, but they need some help getting it right.

Last edited:
Also got a problem with my YF iraud 350. It functioned very crappy for a few minutes, then a resistor starts to smoke. I looked into the schematics

http://www.irf.com/technical-info/refdesigns/iraudamp7d.pdf

and compared it with the board and find it very similar. I also measured some components and the have the right values. One thing I noticed are the irs2092s ic's. Their labels are barely readable and I supposed they are fakes. I got mine from the chinese ebay shop gadgetinfinite last year in january. What I want to know: Has anybody managed to build a functioning amplifier with this modules?

The ebay number is 281215872242

Thanks!

So what's people's opinions of this board, I'm looking for something like this to drive a 15" woofer as part of my setup, it's to run along side two active 10" mid bass and two horn tweeters so I can take a bit of the bass of the tens and run them slightly higher. Any thoughts?

Unless you run it in bridged mode class d can have trouble with bus pumping on low frequencies.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.