ION 5.1 Budget Home Theater System

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The biggest thing I notice now that the system is coming together is how bland so many shows and movies are with the audio. Movies like Guardians 2 make good use of the sub and have well mixed voices, but many others are boring to listen to. This difference wasn't very noticeable with the television speakers or even with just the Ion surrounds.

Sadly true due to the fact that most folks either listen Via the TV and/or a dinky HTiB system, which can't handle cinema dynamics, though it's interesting that some of the most dynamic and go the lowest are kid's movies, the households mostly to have these low end options: The Low Frequency Content Thread (films, games, music, etc) - Bass Content - Data-Bass Forums
The Ultimate List of BASS in Movies w/ Frequency Charts - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

GM

Sadly true due to the fact that most folks either listen Via the TV and/or a dinky HTiB system, which can't handle cinema dynamics, though it's interesting that some of the most dynamic and go the lowest are kid's movies, the households mostly to have these low end options: The Low Frequency Content Thread (films, games, music, etc) - Bass Content - Data-Bass Forums
The Ultimate List of BASS in Movies w/ Frequency Charts - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

GM

Yeah, I don't need a ton of bass, but most television is mixed very flat, with little under 100hz. When you turn on a good movie its almost like you lifted a blanket off the speakers. I know the guys over at AVSForums scoff at anything less than dual 18" subs, but I have found the ION sub to be plenty for our room. Coming from 2-channel audio I don't crave high spl at 20hz and find it most important that the bass sounds natural.

Crossovers

Noob question here, sorry if this is the wrong spot but I'm haviga hard time finding answers.

I'm looking to do something similar , 5.1 system with RS100s and a 10" sub and wondering if you have to have a crossover between the sub and the RS100s, or if their drop off is enough and you just tune the sub crossover to match.

Noob question here, sorry if this is the wrong spot but I'm haviga hard time finding answers.

I'm looking to do something similar , 5.1 system with RS100s and a 10" sub and wondering if you have to have a crossover between the sub and the RS100s, or if their drop off is enough and you just tune the sub crossover to match.

The RS100s won't be with the sub long-term in front, but I am using my receiver to cross the rest of the system with the subwoofer. I think most receivers that have subwoofer support will have this option. That said, the natural roll-off of the RS100s in a small sealed box like what I built is somewhat close to the crossover point. The problem would probably be the slow roll-off which I would guess would give a hole in the 150hz range.

Alright, got through the busy time and finished up the last details on the center and sub this weekend. I finished the veneer for the center and applied it to the baffle. Since it is adhesive veneer, it was pretty much just peel and stick. For the sub, the walnut parts are 1/2", so I applied a thin layer of gorilla glue and clamped. I am very happy with how both look. Next step is to order the parts for the fronts.

PNuw46Ll.jpg

HNDW1zpl.jpg

D04hyTSl.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.