Internet orders not possible with non-US credit card???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Tried to place an order to PartsExpress for delivery to a friend in the US which I was going to pick up on my next visit.

They confirmed the order, but then I received an email that they could not confirm my credit card information because the card was issued by a bank outside the US. They suggested a Money Order or bank transfer which if I remember correctly costs insane amounts of handling fees or Paypal which I am going to check out.

But what is the reason for this? I thought a credit card is good for just this: paying over great distances with no hassle. After all, I can reserve a room in the Ritz with just a phone call, giving my card number (if I were to care for the Ritz...). The hotel will check if the credit line is good and that's it.

What is the reason for this reluctance for internet orders?

Eric

I've had similar probelms when specifying a different delivery address from that of the cardholder (they probably assume the card could be stolen).

I know what you mean about the cost of international delivery: I recently tried to order two 8" woofers from Apex Jr:
Cost of goods = $70
Cost for delivery: $100
Import tax to UK: $30

Those bargin woofers suddenly trippled in cost! It sucks...

I have noticed some tightening due to different shipping and billing adddresses also.

These types of things are common in an economic slowdown. The card issuers are probably facing higher delinquency rates and more fraud.

Have you purchased from them in a similar manner previously (even with a different card)?

If you had done business with them before over a period of time- my guess is they would work it out.

Ken L

I don't think this is a typical US phenomenon only. For instance,
I read as late as yesterday that Profusion in UK can only deliver
to the cardholders address. Perhaps there are too many
people who try to order things using other peoples card numbers
so they have to do it like this.

Bank transfers to the US has been a constant source of trouble
for me. We have often used this at work to pay hotels etc. in
advance, but all too often I arrive in the US just to learn that
I have paid $5 or $10 too little. The problem seems to be that
the banks don't agree. The banks here in Sweden always
assure us that they have added the sufficient amount (quite
a lot, typically) and that everything is included so that the US
bank will not deduct any fee. Yet, this is exactly what happens
most of the time, the US bank does indeed charge a few extra
$ and the final amount is too small. :(

use PayPal

if you use PayPal, you don't pay the "spread", the seller of the goods assumes it. (and the cost is a bit higher for non-USD transactions). If you "Receive" funds via PayPal, the fee is about the same as a credit card transaction -- just build it into your cost structure.

I have had good success with PayPal from purchasers and sellers around the globe -- France, Italy, UK, Singapore, HK, Japan, as well as the US.

btw, if you are selling and receive payment from a "verified" address, PayPal "insures" the transaction.

Speaking of CC's in India and tariffs

You should make sure to read the terms of trade for international goods. Some things like books, semiconductors have very little to no duty if the counterparty is a country with which yours has "Normal Trade Relations". On the other hand, you make a real mistake coming into the U.S. as a foreign national if you have a briefcase full of samples -- every time I come into the US (particularly from HK or Tokyo) there is someone getting the fifth degree from a US Customs officer.

In the U.S. a number of people write angrily of the fees charged to purchase in Euro with their U.S. issued credit cards. At one time there was no fee. I guess the trick is to get one written by a French, Dutch or German bank.

Speaking of India, in Madurai, the front desk of the hotel I was staying in required reams of forms to take cash, or to exchange dollars for rupees, but a credit card was most appreciated. No problem in Bangalore, Thanjavur, Bhubeneswahr.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.