Internal wiring

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Building this Nelson Pass pre-amp is my first real challenge in DIY electronics, so I would appriciate some advise on internal wiring, now that I'm ready to wire everything together.
I did spend quite a lot on quality components, so I guess I should also follow-up using good wires...
Which ones should I use for signal? Size? Silver or normal wire? Someone recommended me thin wire-wrap. Do I need a special tool for un-isolating wire-wrap?
I use seven pair of RCA for in and out, so there'll be quite much signal wiring. Two volume controls. Tape monitor etc. Elma switches with gold terminals.
I hope someone recommends normal wire, cause silver wiring propably will be quite expensive. However first priority is sound quality.

sam9

With that much wiring, I think your focus need to be physical layout -- keeping signal lines away from the power supply and AC power entry wires and heat. Silver wire might make a difference after nearly all other factors are atended to, but keep in mind even very good, very high-end commercial products usually use with non-silver wire.

Silver or copper won't make any difference.

If you're on a budget and want silver wire, try teflon insulated wire- it is always silver plated (lots of nice insulation colors, too). Stripping it can be tricky- best to use a thermal stripper- if you hunt a little you can find a used one for $15-20.

One of the benefits of teflon insulation is that it generally doesn't melt when you solder the wire, so the connections stay neat. PVC insulation melts at very low temperatures which makes for some ugly connections.

I use teflon insulated wire in "antique" radios I rebuild. The teflon insulation doesn't care about heat generated by tubes and it should last for a long, long time.

MR

One way to avoid too much wire is using shaft extentions on your volume and rotary switches (if using them). Good idea is also to use relays to switch sources at the input jacks and run one pair of wire to the next stage. All your switching should be done at the rear were the inputs are. Less wire, more simple layout. You can find visual example of it here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3629&highlight=Son+of+dork

Most of the better wires have teflon insulation now. You can use regular blade to strip it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.