Interface : USB or NOT

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well -- good thing I never encoded anything (A to D) with my PCM2702 for saving in my music library.

Playback sure sounds damn good though -- as good or better than CD, but then maybe I'm missing something -- including a pair of golden ears?

I'll have to bone up on all of it.

Thanks for the feedback.

And also -- in case someone can respond, what is the deal with the SPDIF output on a PCM27XX chip?

Why would you want to convert from USB to SPDIF, only to have to do even more conversion getting it back to analog?

Wouldn't you want to get SPDIF straight from the PC on a sound card?

Hi jmar,
Why would you want to convert from USB to SPDIF, only to have to do even more conversion getting it back to analog?
PCM2704 is an easy solution to add an USB input to converters having multiple S/PDIF inputs. Just put PCM2704 S/PDIF output on an existing input.

Wouldn't you want to get SPDIF straight from the PC on a sound card?
Many sound cards don't include S/PDIF output.

I was asking also in reference to USB being an "inferior" transfer as stated earlier in the post.

Isn't SPDIF just a straight synchronous digital transfer (I can't remember) -- no packets or all this talk about jitter etc? (If you send a WAV file or MP3 or any type of encoding, does SPDIF maintain it's integrity?)

If it's USB that's feeding an SPDIF output, then you still have USB and it's "flaws", don't you?

Sorry -- but I have hard time getting my head around this.

Hi jmar,
Isn't SPDIF just a straight synchronous digital transfer (I can't remember) -- no packets or all this talk about jitter etc?
S/PDIF provide continuous stream at 64xFs (Sampling frequency). So a PLL can lock onto the frequency.

(If you send a WAV file or MP3 or any type of encoding, does SPDIF maintain it's integrity?)
The S/PDIF stream is normalized, you could not send anything.

If it's USB that's feeding an SPDIF output, then you still have USB and it's "flaws", don't you?
Not exactly, the stream must be continuous and match with sampling frequency. USB send discontinuous packet matching with sampling frequency too.

Well - let me ask this then.

From my hard drive full of uncompressed WAV files to my speakers, start with Firewire for my DAC?

For the ultimate in fidelity?

Funny thing is -- from the very beginning, I liked the idea of these PCM27XX chips because the took the analog audio FAR away from the PC. They do sound good but I'm always interested in anything better.

Didn't even think about USB with respect to primo audio. (meant for printers -- lol).

I'll have to look into it but I would imagine there are stand alone boxes with firewire input and analog RCA outs? -- and THAT is THEE way to go?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
From my hard drive full of uncompressed WAV files to my speakers, start with Firewire for my DAC?

Firewire out of the PC into the DAC. Then the DAC does its job & gives you analog.

In the low end pro gear is where to go. In the extreme hi-end, consumer breakout from pro gear like Wiess, DAD (Digital Audio Denmark), and of course dCS. I can't play in that area getting an Edirol FA-66 and wishing i could afford a Metric Halo.

dave

Constructive discussion

Hi planet10,
Firewire = IEEE1384. Google it.
IEEE1394, thanks Father Planet10 :worship:

Firewire out of the PC into the DAC. Then the DAC does its job & gives you analog.
And USB do the same thing :D

The problem is more complex. You can find another thread about digital link between PC and DAC here : Pc -> Dac, How ? #1

Firewire, dead or alive? Pc -> Dac, How ? #129

Planet10, it might be useful to have constructive discussion and not speaking about your personal point of view.

Thanks

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
But is it because Firewire is fundamentally better suited for sound transmission or is it just a question of implementation. Per example have you been able to compare async USB/I2S to Firewire/I2S? From what i know Firewire is not very diy friendly. For one you need drivers.

Firewire is specifically designed for media so has an underlying architectural advantage.

Firewire is not as diy friendly because their is no single chip solution like the 270x chips.... but then once you want to go past the limitations of the 16/48 of the TI chip USB is actually less diy friendly because you have to write some pretty tricky software.

Firewire works on my computer without drivers.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.