Interesting molten/exploded capacitor on controller board

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
As the subject says: My fans started running a bit slower, (probaly due to lower voltage, due to extensive power consumption of the lilliput controller board. I shut it off as soon as i could but it still started to smell funky in the room. I opened the case and imagined that it might be some cable that was too close to the lamp (150W MH) but it was not. The smell occured from a capacitor that is labeled C56 at the controller card of the 7" lilliput screen. As it looks is it directly connected to the spool that i guess is related to the power usage of the backlight in the original setup. So it's basically there to absorb the back current the spool(small transformator?) produces when it starts/stops. The question is why did it melt? A thing that doesn't feel right is that when I found it was it in contact with one of the blue capcitor looking components and had melted into the side of it. So if it was by some reason too close to it, but from my experience doesn't capacitors get that hot so they melt into nearby components or get so hot that they explode/melt. So it might as well be something else?

I can unfortunantly not supply any pictures this time...

Sometimes capacitors fail; you can get a bad batch, or they dry out with age. Or it was subjected to too much heat. The smell of a dead capacitor is quite unique.

If you can still read the label, or have someone else with the same LCD read the label on theirs, you should be able to replace it without much difficulty.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.