Interesting 2 inch fullrange driver

Does anyone have experience with this driver? I have just found some up for sale on eBay but haven’t heard of anyone using them or seen them for sale before.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2354861...lgAa3NhR5i&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

I wanted to make a short 2 way line array with them combined with a 8 inch woofer and was wondering how they might compare to other 2 inch drivers on the market, the power handling looks good.

With a $55 AUD...and a really low sensitivity of 83Db @ 1W@1M ...I really think you can do better. A straight forward change to a "four-inch" driver gives you a nice big jump in sensitivity & there are many more choices in the four-inch market....which drives down the costs per driver as well.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Rick...

From what I've read, the comb filtering effect doesn't come into the picture in the near-field domain. Further, this combing can be mitigated by a curvature of the front baffle...we've seen, those pretty curved front baffles.
BTW, how many drivers had you intended & just how tall?
I am gravely concerned about that "silent" sensitivity of 83 Db....I was truly shocked when I heard my own 88Db five-inch FR project ...sounded fine, thank you, but when the meters of my Carver TFM-15CB were actually moving as far as they were ???

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Rick...

Reactions: 1 user
My reasons for using such a small driver is that we have some alloy extrusion at work I can get for free. I thought I might be able to make the enclosures out of really easily and maybe line with some insulation to improve the sound if it didn’t work as planned. But if these drivers wouldn’t have much volume it might be worth coming up with a better idea

That driver is such a wild ride past 2kHz, it would not even be good for anything!
Too small to provide anything in the 500Hz region, and too wild to be used above 2k.

Chack out the SBA SB65WBAC25-4 instead. Muuuuuch better FR, controlled cheaper and sounds great.

If using 4 in a tiny tray, your listening window will only be within the height of those 4 drivers.
The moment your ears will leave that line, highs will drop so fast. And you won't be able to listen to them at short distance, as comb filtering up close will be bad. It cleans up with distance.

My reasons for using such a small driver is that we have some alloy extrusion at work I can get for free. I thought I might be able to make the enclosures out of really easily and maybe line with some insulation to improve the sound if it didn’t work as planned. But if these drivers wouldn’t have much volume it might be worth coming up with a better idea
This would be a much better choice of driver to use

https://www.parts-express.com/Visaton-FRS5X-8-2-Full-Range-Driver-8-Ohm-292-640?quantity=1

I used 12 of these per side for a local acoustic 4 pc cover band and it works extremely well with a pair of subs.

Using 5 on each side and wired as a Bessel array will give you only 3.5x the power handling of a single driver but the polar response of a single driver so no comb filtering or need for drastic equalization. Efficiency is modest at 87db for 5 in a Bessel. Should sound really nice for not much $$$

Dayton's ND64 is another good option. For low distortion, they should be crossed around 400 Hz, but for non-critical applications, they'll play lower. They only need about 7 cubic inches for a sealed box, which is tiny. There's a 16 ohm version also.

I tried multiple 1-2 inch drivers (Vifa, Peerless, Tymphany, Aura, SB, Visaton), and for overall performance the ND64 was my favorite. Unfortunately, LaVoce wasn't one I tested.

https://www.parts-express.com/Dayto...ne-Full-Range-Driver-4-Ohm-295-520?quantity=1