interested in MTM w/810921 and ER18RNX

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've read much about the ER18RNX with the seas tdfc tweeter but I am interested in designing an MTM with the peerless 810921 tweeter. Does anyone have some ideas or interests in this kind of project?

I have been working on another MTM project so I have some boxes built (stand mounted 21.5" H x 9.25" fronts, about 30L, based on North Creek Cabinet spec). It would be great to try this combo. I'm on a mac but hoping to get/borrow a pc soon for testing. I don't have the ER18RNX's on hand, as Madisound is out of stock (in US), but I was just curious if anyone else has tried this kind of combination?

:)

Nathan

Hi Nathan,
I guess you've read about my project but I can offer some more comments.
I finished 'Mike's MTM' on Saturday and they are running in very nicely. These are ER18RNX and 27TDFC of course, with lots of help from Jay (big thanks!).
They are showing a lot of promise. Bass is good, low, fast, tight and with good dynamics, transient response, impact. Some specifics: Gracelands has a lot more drama than I've ever heard before. Supertramp, Crime of the Century, School .... after a quiet into, a girl screams and a chord is played - well I literally jumped! And I know this LP well ....
Tonality is coming along very well, singers are really singing now. I know there's more to do; more running in and then voicing, but hell these are already very good speakers.

So I don't think you can go wrong with the ER18 in an MTM. Note that their Vas is comparatively small so they should suit your smallish cabinet well.

As for your choice of tweeter .... you'll have to get expert advice on taming its top end, I guess.

natfin said:
I've read much about the ER18RNX with the seas tdfc tweeter but I am interested in designing an MTM with the peerless 810921 tweeter. Does anyone have some ideas or interests in this kind of project?

I have been working on another MTM project so I have some boxes built (stand mounted 21.5" H x 9.25" fronts, about 30L, based on North Creek Cabinet spec). It would be great to try this combo. I'm on a mac but hoping to get/borrow a pc soon for testing. I don't have the ER18RNX's on hand, as Madisound is out of stock (in US), but I was just curious if anyone else has tried this kind of combination?

:)

Nathan

As you may know, I've used both the 810921 and the 27TDFC in my projects. Both are outstanding drivers. But to be honest, I do not think the 810921 is better by any means than the 27TDFC. This tells, considering the price, why the Seas 27 seiries has been so popular among DIY'ers. I just happened to choose the 810921 for my Usher 2-way. In addition, this Peerless is more difficult to get right sound from than the Seas. It required much more tweaking time via listening.

FYI, refer to some people's opinions here:

http://www.pesupport.com/cgi-bin/config.pl?read=392640

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.