Integrated amp as phone preamp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am borrowing a Monitor Audio ASB-4 sound bar to see how well it works with a turntable. It has line level coax inputs and obviously needs a phono preamp. This I had until a couple of days ago until mine decided to pack up. I don't want to rush out and buy another at the moment so I am wondering if I can use an integrated amp as a pre amp by using the tape out connections to provide a line level input to the sound bar. Amp is a Marantz PM66SE KI Signature. This is only a temporary set up while I check the sound bar out.

moment so I am wondering if I can use an integrated amp as a pre amp by using the tape out connections to provide a line level input to the sound bar.

Short answer: Yes.

As a temporary setup just to test the soundbar with a turntable, it's probably a good way to do it since you know the sound of the other system. But do be aware that it's probably not going to give you a whole lot of information about your final setup, other than knowing it can be done.

I have been digitizing much of my vinyl over the years and it was my phono to usb amp that died. My original system has been temporarily retired for various reasons and I was hoping to use a high quality sound bar and a Technics SL7 turntable (which I already have) to make a very compact system that will also work with movies and Bluetooth. Once I have returned the sound bar, I can look at sorting the preamp problem.

I have been digitizing much of my vinyl over the years and it was my phono to usb amp that died. My original system has been temporarily retired for various reasons and I was hoping to use a high quality sound bar and a Technics SL7 turntable (which I already have) to make a very compact system that will also work with movies and Bluetooth. Once I have returned the sound bar, I can look at sorting the preamp problem.

I'm not a big fan of soundbars. They have their place, like when a TV has crap speakers and the owners don't care about things like stereo separation or soundstage. But if you want the best music you really do need to go with an amp and a pair of speakers. Of course this setup will also serve for the TV as well and it will do a better job than any soundbar.

Take a look at the Edifier line of powered speakers on Amazon... also check into the Class D mini-amps and entry level bookshelf speakers. If you need more inputs you can always add a switch box.

Thanks Douglas. I do have reasonable separates system which is temporarily stored away at the moment. After having some fairly expensive damage done to a turntable and speakers by grandchildren and cats in that order, I am keeping everything out of the way for a while. I have been buying a lot of vinyl from charity shops lately and to be honest, this temporary system will only be used to checkout this second hand vinyl. I am not too bothered about loosing my main system for a while, in fact it gives me a chance to consider possible upgrades for the future.

By the way, not sure if you are familiar with the Monitor Audio ASB-4 soundbar but it retailed in the uk at over £1000, weighs in at over 11kg and is over 1m wide. It is a bit of a beast as soundbars go. Suffice to say I will not be spending £1000 on one as they can be picked up on ebay for a quarter of that now.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.