Inductor wrapped around resistor - what for?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2010
Paid Member
A little confusion

I use a 3W - 10R carbon comp. inside the coil , It costs a dollar but what the heck!! On a scope I can see all the RF from a dozen cheap PC power supplies on the speaker wire ... back at the amp "behind" the L//R - nothing..
OS
This is on the money IMHO, as was Sam Groner's comments among others.
Where we see it as a way to cheaply make small quantities of audio output inductors, the damped Q is required and this is an obvious and common way to do it. Some are squeamish about having the coil around the resistor but general theory says its fine as long the as the resistor is not inductive or somehow ferro-magnetic. :cool:

Having used the ARRL handbook to make RF Inductors this way, I recall that the resistance was also specified as "burned out" or high; some orders above circuit impedance, so as not to spoil Q as required. "Dead bug construction" often advised by ARRL for DIY beginners, is on this same principle.

Certainly, the origins are all in "Toob" days and, as with "gimmick" capacitors and other afterthoughts in RF equipment, such innovative parts and assemblies wound up in audio too. However, earlier threads here have already explored all this, so it would have been worthwhile to use the seach facility.;)

Last edited:
I've seen it a few times now... on the circuit board of an amplifier, a resistor with an inductor wound around a resistor. No idea why...

Is it a clever use of pcb real-estate? Or is there a reason to do this? In other words, does the inductor change how the resistor operates or vice versa?
I did not... See R12-R16
qrp02r0_overview.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.