InDIYana 2024 event theme announcement: "Inner Sanctum"...

Welcome to the 'Inner Sanctum', the complementing secondary volume for a woofer alignment in a 2way or 3way consisting of 1.5ft^3 gross. Stand mounts preferred, but not required.

No cost limits of any kind, nor xover limits, nor restrictions on what drivers to use. If you have them, use them! Passive xover implementations only, please, for this challenge, but entering the challenge is not required for attendance if more than observing. Limit one challenge entry per person.

Photos or drawings of internal construction must be provided for verification as visual inspection will not likely be possible. Simple large window braces or simple large holes do not conform to the dual chamber specifications. This should be specified as a vent, PR, driver, or air flow restriction between the 2 chambers in the most common definitions.

Basically, the woofer alignment must incorporate a dual chamber arrangement. This allows isobaric, 4th or 6th order bandpass, Augmented PR (noted in the LDC), multichamber aperiodic(MAPD), dual (or more) chamber bass reflex or DCR+, HPAS, or any other dual-chambered or more arrangement. Feel free to do the same with the optional midrange if you wish, but it is not required, nor will it take the place of the required woofer envelopment.

Since multiple woofers can be used, 2 different alignments or one for each woofer can be applied. They do however have to be different alignments if both woofers do not share both chambers. However, using a pair of woofers in the same plane will require it be a 2.5way, no matter either TMM or MTM. Same plane dual woofer 3ways, or 3ways with dual woofers facing externally are not allowed. Dual external woofers are for 2 or 2.5ways alone.

Dual transmission lines are also allowed via a single driver like the Bose cannon, or dual driver while following the above rules.

Stubbed vented alignments, as in 4thtry's Plummer's Delights from the Nano challenge a few years ago are allowed, BUT the stub chamber and port diameter must not be of the same shape or cross-sectional area. This constitutes 2 chambers, and therefore is allowed.

I look forward to your experiments, and the outcome of this challenge.
More about event will solidify as things happen, likely near end of year (Dec) or beginning of next year.
See you there next year,
Wolf

Okay, house tracks went a slightly different direction this year. Last few years, I incorporated noises or snips between tracks to cleanse the aural pallet. I did use a few shorter sections this year for fun of interesting sounds, etc. I was mainly focused on getting as many instruments or sounds in the shortest amount of time to thoroughly explore them in the entries. Some songs were not favorites of some present people, but the reason they were chosen seemed to be more clear without stating so. Due to fewer entries, I did not cut the length down and left it at about 8 minutes in length. Some felt it was too long, but we had more time with each entry and just enjoyed them a bit longer. Reasons for use also follow.

0- Coloured Noise - Green Noise (MCB Electronics, 2023); used to more easily center on the output level at about 500Hz, and ease the demand of smaller speakers.

1- Bernstein/Prokofiev/NY Philharmonic - Peter and the Wolf (CBS 1960, transferred/remixed to digital 1985, MYK 37765); voice of Leonard Bernstein and strings of Peter in the story.

2- FireFall - Sweet Ann, from Remaster of Elan (Warner/BGO Records, 1978, Remastered 2016, BGOCD1234); '70s rock with flute etc.

3- Susanna Hoffs - All I Want, from self-titled (London/Polygram Records, 1996, 4228288202); strong plucked bass, some acoustic guitar, and sweet gravel voiced Hoffs.

4- Warblers of Ohio - Prairie Warbler, from Bird Sounds (Division of Wildlife); rising sweep really pronounced tweeter sound. (short)

5- Adam Again - Worldwide, from Dig (Brainstorm/Word 1992, 7100523672); went for the whistle and the initial rock kick. Not REM. Seemed to be the earworm of the group...

6- The Awakening - Amethyst, from The Fourth Seal of Zeen (Intervention Arts/Intervention Music, 2006, South Africa, INT010); minor key dark gothic electronica with low male vocal. Not Type O Negative.

7- Phantom of the Opera Original Motion Picture Soundtrack (Warner Bros, 2004, Sony Classical SK93521) - Masquerade; dynamic brassy performance (short)

8- Chantal Chamberlain - Ain't No Sunshine/I Can't Stand the Rain; from Temptation (Governess Music/Evosound.com, 2019, SACD, EVSA718S); husky female voice with piano and clear acoustic guitar work.

9- Mortification - Primitive Rhythm Machine (Intense/Frontline Records, 1995, FLD9526), from the same title; drumwork from metal song not for the meek. (short)

10- Tony Rich - Grass Is Green, from Words (LeFace Records, 1995, 73008-26022-2); Something different than your average speaker demo song and seemed to be well received, layers and bass.

11- Kekal - Between Us, from Audible Minority (Whirlwind, 2012); Indonesian experimental metal band concept album, "clang-clang- thump-thump" sound for decay. (short)

12- Havalina Rail Company - Twilight Time, taken from 7Ball Gas Sampler #3 (VoxCorp, Inc, 1997), Originally from Russian Lullabies (Jackson Rubio/Hairy Desert Pig/High Art for the Working Class, 1997); Analog sounding swinging jazz with sax and reverberant hollow body guitar.

Seemed a lot of these went over well with the crowd. I will try and keep it shorter next year.

Nick "ugly woofer" won the theme contest with a short tower. It had HiVi M8a paired in isobaric to make the size cutoff, and also a DCR vented box using a PR for the first exit. On top was the BIG Heil AMT for a low xover frequency to help get under the horrendous breakup of these woofers.

It was a great time, see you next year!
Wolf

Last edited: