[INDIA] Chassis, knobs, PCB makers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2002
Paid Member
6mm is really thick. THe case will be part of the heat sink too!

Well not really, the reason for such thick metal is dimensional stability (no heat dissipating parts are attached to the walls).

The transformers weigh over 6 kilos each in the 3U case, and since we have a shortage of anchor points (all panels attach only at their extremes) I wanted to avoid flex. The fabricator was not keen to use angle and sheet method as it would not look good and eat up interior space, and I agreed. Plus constructing in a space frame is difficult with so many edges. This way I simply put things together plate by plate, bringing in actors when needed.

Plus, I already have some 3mm aluminum cases made by Dinrack and they ring like crazy when the bass hits, and being extrusion-based the dimensions are off by a fraction of a mm everywhere so the panels audibly rattle when being moved around. Not pretty to hear.

I recently imported a case for a friend's preamp using 8mm walls and I was sold on using thick metal, it just looks a whole lot better. I was pushing the guy to make me a 6mm top panel but he refused...

Amazing chassis, specially in India. :up:

I wonder where you got the heatsink section from... it's hard to get any section wider than 8in in India. Wider sections, even when available abroad, are usually cast, not extruded. I checked with the Hindalco team and extracted some insider information -- they are big manufacturers of extruded aluminium heatsink sections. They said they can't do wider than about 8in. Not that it's physically impossible, just very difficult. Yours seems wider. Where did you get them?

We're all waiting to hear the amount you paid for the boxes. :)

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Tarun, the depth is exactly 8". Hindalco does larger sizes on custom (large$$$) orders only, I think they have capabilities up to 10" or even 12" but the costs rise disproportionately. 8" is the widest available easily, and it's enough for me with some planning. If I had the sinks inside the case I could have gone deeper, but sheet costs would have gone up even more and rigidity would have also suffered with larger panels.

Thanks for your nice words :) I'm sure it'll be pretty pricey, but the Taiwanese cases work out to over 18K each for the amplifier boxes. I remember paying THL 12 or 13K after shipping+customs for this tiny little preamp case:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I'm pleased as punch with the work done by my guy, and they'll still be cheaper than getting stuff in unless you can bring it in yourself. The finish and architecture are both pretty decent for the country's standards - it won't be very cheap but it'll still be cheaper than equivalent international products, and just as good.

This is gr8 work Sangram as this always looks easy to a newbie, I am sure you agree that the challenge in the Indian scenario is to get a single job done at a workshop as they all look out for quantities . I used to work for a Amp manufacturer and know how hard it was to make a sample chasis with high standards. All in all good work !

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Thanks gogs.

The cost worked out to 16K for both cabinets inclusive of material, labour and delivery, but excluding all heatsinks and hardware.

Estimated hardware cost is between 4 and 5K for this level of parts, you can either go cheaper or more expensive as your budget allows. Remember the case is only 8" deep so if you go deeper (which mostly you will need to) the cost will increase a bit.

So - not cheap, but still cheaper than importing and the exact same quality :)

Someone was enquiring about wide heat sink extrusions
here are some

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The 2nd one is 8.5 inches wide fin height 75mm , thickness of base 14mm

the last two are 10 inches wide sinks , fin height 82mm and thickness of base 16mm

there exisist wider still but are difficult to procure due to exclusivity clauses

Last edited:
The one that is ten inches wide looks super! Sangram 3k was for how many inches (length) of the extrusion? i would love to get my hands on these.
what i have realized is that because of our (generally) warmer climate we really need to over engineer the cooling on class A amps. the general practice of a 25 deg. C rise over ambient would put my heatsinks at 65 degrees in summer!
cheers,
mymindinside

@keith
the edges are not how they seem
i took the pic and the camera cautioned that the pic was blurred

the edges have not been milled
The correct way of cutting (aluminium such as this) is with a 2-2.5mm Steel circular saw to get a smooth cut
These edges were however cut with a 5mm saw with inserts and was then filed which caused minor waviness ( but not roughness as the pic leads you to belive)

it is due to this waviness and the shot getting blurred when i clicked that you see that effect on the picture

i will upload a pic before the anodising process or even the deburring of the same sink so you can get the real picture/idea

heres a raw pic after cutting on the circular saw
http://

@sangram
i didnt remember i was registered here too
i just tried the same user name and password that i try on other forums and it seems ive been here before

Yeh that cristi really got me disapointed
All plans went down the toilet

@navinji
well if you are the same person as the one in a famous indian auto forum, you have actaully met me (but probably do not remember)
Yes those sinks can be procured at my workshop

for the 1st and 2nd pic (heasinks) though , a group buy would be better since small quantities cannot be arranged due to some exclusivity clauses

Last edited:
Hi Magma,
from your reply to Navin i am guessing that your workshop is in Mumbai, is that correct?
could you give us an idea of the minimum quantities involved in a group buy, along with a price per cm/inch.
EDIT: Magma, i think you posted as i was typing, thanks for the price indication. so if one were to buy six inch lengths would it be possible to get them individually? Or is a group buy the only option

cheers,
mymindinside

Last edited:
6inch lengths can be bought individually but on order basis
this item is never in ready stock with my extruder since its a high cost item plus he is not supposed to stock this item due to some understanding between him and his customer

group buys would probably be required for other lenghts

and would make a lot of sense of the heatsink shown in the 2nd pic i.e the 8.5 inch extrsion ( purely since that is avalible in only 6 foot lenghts and is easier to procure and also turns out cheaper than the 10inch extrusion , if you calulate weightwise or per inch basis)

All please note : this is not my business/trade, nor am i here to advertise anything or sell any wares or take any cuts/commisions
Audio (actaully ... building stuff ) is just my hobby that sangram made use of

Last edited:
The second extrusion (8.5in. width, 75mm fins and 14mm base) looks good. if one needs a deeper enclosure it is possible to stack two of these side by side to get a depth of 17 inches.
magma, thanks for clearing up that you are not a supplier/distributor. with your posts in this thread as my only reference, i thought these heatsinks were designed by you and fabricated by someone for you. These are the widest extrusions i have seen available in India...good job finding this guy!
i would definitely be interested in these, if there is a group buy for the 8.5 inch one. i would take either 4 or 8 pieces of seven inches length(dependent on price). if i can help make the group buy work i am willing to contribute some time as well.

cheers,
mymindinside

first 3 sinks can be procured by me ONLY in 6 foot lengths due to reasons ive mentioned earlier

Type 1 (the 1st pic here )

Specs
8 inch extrusion with a 1 inch gap at the centre , very handy in chip mounting
Base is 5.5 mm thick
and fin height is 42mm

Lengths can be cut as you want ( as long as there are enough buyers to hit 6 feet)

Type 2

This is a flower design heatsink which can do F5 duty (10inch long either deep or side to side)

Specs
7 inch extrsion

Type 3 - Exclusive

Specs
8 inch extrusion
15mm thick base
75mm fin height

PICS - imagine this sink to be identical to the type 4 but of smaller fin dimensions as mentioned , however this sink is one piece pure AL extrsusion and quite exclusive being their top end heatsink

Type 4

Specs
10inch wide extrusion,
16mm thick base and
82 mm fin height-
However this is precut at 6 inch lengths

This is actually a heatsink made by two 5inch extrusions that have been lazer CNC welded at the centre using a pure al weld
However after anodizing you may never notice.Cant make out easily from the pic can you? The base is absolutely flush and level

Once again i re-iterate
i have no commercial intrests in sinks, im not a dealer nor a manufacturer just a fortunate guy who has access to customised extrusion owing to my regular work

Joined 2002
Paid Member
magma, the 7 inch 'flower' extrusion is available for about Rs 2.2K for a 10" length in Calcutta at Railton electronics. They have an even more massive extrusion with a 25mm base that sells for about 4K for a 14" length, but a very similar profile.

I use the one you posted for my F5 power amp, one 10" section per channel.

Anyway I'm going to stop posting project sourcing, planning and construction details here now too, just finished projects. There are some lurkers on DiyAudio who misread and misquote my posts out of turn and without my consent or clarification, in order to mislead people elsewhere. I think you and me will only be talking on email and phone, and I request you not to post projects done for me on any other forum as well. It's a most unfortunate turn of events.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.