India again -HD LCD projector .

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
let the pics speak first.

this happens to be my third attempt and worth to share.:)

this time with 13.3inch ,1280x850p ( hd) lcd .

work in progress.....:)

Attachments

• _DSC0615.jpg
    _DSC0615.jpg
    389.5 KB · Views: 720
  • _DSC0613.jpg
    _DSC0613.jpg
    362.1 KB · Views: 637
  • _DSC0612.jpg
    _DSC0612.jpg
    347.6 KB · Views: 600
  • _DSC0611.jpg
    _DSC0611.jpg
    366.7 KB · Views: 604
  • _DSC0609.jpg
    _DSC0609.jpg
    331.8 KB · Views: 578
  • _DSC0607.jpg
    _DSC0607.jpg
    415.7 KB · Views: 364
ohh sorry guys i took too long to reply...
when i posted the above it went for moderator approval and next day also it dint show up so i thought it may never show up. then i forgot password and forgot about the this thread...forgive me.

Congratulation !! This would be great if you can provide the result image, also detail information , as how's you design all !!
looking for positive reply !!
maxpower, the project is just in pretty wierd state as of now because i assembled and tested it in haste just to see how results are. and they were great hence couldn't take shots.
the hurdles are ,
400w MH lamp is as hot as sun. lcd display produce black spots due to heat , within seconds.

the projected image is 3 meter x 3 meter from a distance of 3 meter . too big for an average home. felt as if in front row of 70mm theater.
What is the LCD you are using and how much it costs? I got bad LCD and broken but thinking to buy best and cheeper for HD projection
abhineo, initially i used 7 inch (rs.3500)display. but then it was too grainy and unpleasant to watch movies.
then i had three options,
use a 15 inch lcd monitor .
use a small chinese gaming ipad or android pad lcd which comes for 6000-9000 inr this was great idea but i cannot connect it to my present audio setup or dvd player.
then i googled and got a small lcd tv through ebay

i bought Curtis 13.3''lcd tv through ebay. it costs 124 dollars.
though it was dearer option but solved many of issues as it have remote controls,rgb inputs, blah blah.

the fresnel lens are from 3dlens,330mm and 220 mm focal 40 cm wide. i think front lens of 330 mm is not sufficient i may need 550 mm for it.

the reflector lamp shown in the figure is old one sorry for that, i uploaded by mistake.

for the reflector i used round headlamp reflector of public bus/ ambassador car. i cut the lamp hole bit larger to accommodate the mh lamp and voila light is higly focussed and intensity is stellar..good thing about car reflector is, it is metal and very shiny.

....will update regularly.

hii Jayadev.
u seem to be a pro in what i m just starting to learn. At first I was thinking of getting an Optoma HD20 through borderlinx but the saw all the hard work you people are doing. I have decided to build my own HD projector now and would like know where to sart from?? What all should I know?? Is there any step by step description with on net?? I would also like to know that from where can I get all the components needed?? Need help in stripping LCD and how do we design the cabinet??

Well basically EVERYTHING.

hi dennymushtang,
not a pro but it is experience through job.
initially me too as usual started thinking how to convert my puny 21''crt tv into big wide thing.that was 4 years ago.
now it is different game.

to start you ned to get lcd as that is most hectic thing i have seen. though numerous tyoes are available in market but most of them just produce pale coulors or very low resolutions. i have seen couple car roof mount lcd's they are not bad either.

then you need bit of basic optics know how. like magnification and focal lenght -what are they why are they.
if you can overcome above steps then you are into it.

Need help in stripping LCD and how do we design the cabinet??

not a rocket science but more patience and common sense...

will update soon.

@Jayadev
Thanks for an early reply.
LCD Tv with screen size you have selected for your present project, it seems is not available in India. I live near delhi and here I am getting F-lenses only upto A4 paper size whereas the smallest hd ready/full hd lcd available is of 15.4". This way I will be cropping significant portion of the picture at the edges. plz suggest.

Regards.

LCD Tv with screen size you have selected for your present project, it seems is not available in India. I live near delhi and here I am getting F-lenses only upto A4 paper size whereas the smallest hd ready/full hd lcd available is of 15.4". This way I will be cropping significant portion of the picture at the edges. plz suggest.

you are right.
me too faced same issues. to be clear india is not a DIY supporter in any field afaik .may it be automotive or electronics. ..sigh

so i had to order both fresnel and lcd from abroad .
got the triplet from bangalore based manufacturer.

to me 15'' lcd project became impossible and my 15'' view sonic lcd still remains in stripped condition.
the reason- it need huge surface to be illuminated which means more lumen (400w+light) heat ,power consumption ,dark corners connectivity issue..
15'' lcd the projected image would be huge with short throw lenses said by you. even though color production would be great with pc but with a dvd player it would need a vga convertor again deterioration of color and quality.blue would look greenish ,yellow would be white,green yellowish black would be grey..etc

so stick with smaller lcd .try your luck with small hdmi media player or mp4 player small lcd would be suitable with A4 fresnel which means compact projector
..keep searching in internet.

a second hand ipod or a good pixel fone would be a great choice . use the lcd and connect the usb port to pc or anything else.

Curtis 13.3" HD LED TV w/Remote & Adapter, Brand New!
i bought lcd from ebay ,search the above detail. contacted the seller through email and asked if he can ship it to india and he agreed through USPS. then had to pay rs2000/- for customs duty which was collected at post office.simple!!!

fresnel was bought from "www dot 3dlens dot com" again i paid through creditcard (paypal).no customs or duty.!!

the purchase was easy but had to wait long 2 weeks.

bit of updates..work in progress though...

experimenting with screen.
the one i am using is ordinary cotton, it gave a bluish tint so i painted with white distember . now looking much better and brighter.:cool:
but it turned out to be opaque to sound so had to place speakers in front though subwoofers and cetre speaker still remain behind screen.

have a look at the screen size, with me standing.

quite sharp and satisfactory isnt it? (the pics look bit smudged when i resized)
note the projected image is still wider than the screen almost 1 foot on either side is on the wall. (wish i had a wider room)

so far worth the effort..!!

Attachments

• _DSC0088 a.jpg
    _DSC0088 a.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 378
  • _DSC0089a.jpg
    _DSC0089a.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 370
Last edited:
The result is really fantastic bro!! You can also try with Thermocol sheets am sure you will get much better result with !! coming to the point , please advice me where to face the fresenel lense in front and back side of lcd and also advice what distance should be kept between both fresenel lense and lcd !! Thanks in advance

The result is really fantastic bro!!
thanks bro.
You can also try with Thermocol sheets am sure you will get much better result with
thermocol may be good for reflection but what about sound? it will completely block sound from speakers behind.

where to face the fresenel lense in front and back side of lcd

in my setup groved face of both fresnel, face LCD.

what distance should be kept between both fresenel lense and lcd

collimeter or fresnel for backlight at back of lcd is at 1 inch from lcd.

at front is at 1.25 inch from lcd.(trial and error method further the distance bigger would be projection)

thanks bro.
I didn't get?? how it related with sound system, as sound is coming direct from speaker, which sounds quality depends on your cabinet and speakers quality !!
thermocol may be good for reflection but what about sound? it will completely block sound from speakers behind.

Got thanks !! will do !!
in my setup groved face of both fresnel, face LCD.

Thanks !!
collimeter or fresnel for backlight at back of lcd is at 1 inch from lcd.

at front is at 1.25 inch from lcd.(trial and error method further the distance bigger would be projection)

Just now am exprimenting with single fresenel lense , a projection lense and OHP color image , will soon buy the rest part of projector soon, please advice should i go for 10" lcd or need more wide?

smaller the lcd size better it would for DIY. large lcd ocupies lot of space , need bigger fresnel , more light.
stick with 10inch lcd or smaller with maximum number of pixels anything above 1200pix would be great.
i got a 9inch hd lcd with me "YES PMP900" bought it from chennai. but i did not use it as it does not have video inputs but only reads usb and memory card .
result was great .

what are all the inputs available?? does it have a VGA/HDMI????
it was like a regular car lcd monitor with tv and video input
check this link http://cityjosh.com/a,352,Worldtech-7%E2%80%9D-LCD-TV-TFT-Screen-Car-Audio-Video-Pla.htm
Worldtech 7” LCD TV/TFT Screen/Car Audio Video Player/Digital Photo Frame/Multimedia Player

• In-built TV Tuner
• High Definition Video
• In-built 02 speakers
• Audio output
• 3.5 Headphone jack
• USB Slot & MMC Card Slot Plays movies and audio songs directly from pen drives and sd memory card
• Can be used as a Digital Photo frame
• Photo Slideshow Function
• Can be connected to any type of cctv camera or car security camers
• In-Car and Multi-Usage Monitor for Security Cameras, Displays & more
• Slim & Attractive TV Monitor for your Car & Home
• Car cigarette Power adapter provided
• 7" TFT Color Widescreen 16:9 TFT LCD
• USB & SD card Player
• Can be connected to cable or DTH service
• Compatable with all kinds of pen drives,sd cards,mobiles,mp3,mp4 players,dvd players etc.
• Built for your Safety. Connect with rear view Camera
• Direct auxiliary input gives you the option to connect to DVD/VCD
head unit, Satellite TV antenna, etc.
• TV on the move. Watch your local favorite TV Channels
• Easy to Use Full function Remote Control
• Automatic searching
• External Antenna compatable.
would like to know how to use them as i have come to know that we require a controller for that. Does any controller comes with an HDMI input????

controller for laptop lcd?? i find the availability of such a fancy highly impossible as of now.
better buy a 15'' lcd monitor for rs.5000/-

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.