In search of dirtcheap main speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm looking to replace my current JBL CF120 main speakers with a new pair of mains. Ideally, I'd like to end up with speakers that roll off under 60hz while keeping the total project under $200. I'm leaning towards a MTM design, but I'm definately open to any suggestions and advice. I listened to a pair of MTM speakers called the D3 (A Wayne J design using Dayton drivers) and was pretty impressed with their sound.

If anyone knows of similar projects for around the same budget, I'd love to hear about them!

Joel

You are asking for quite a bit for the budget, and it brings up the old debate on whether to use better drivers in a TM or lesser drivers in a MTM. At $200, you can make some quite exceptional TM's. Need to know a couple bits of info, what will you be listening too, how much time is stereo/HT etc.

I currently working on a project of a similar budget to replace my JBL HLS 620's and have almost selected the drivers, its a TM with SEAS CC17RCY H624 and Audax TM025F1 tweeter. Ill have more info on the completed project and plans etc in a couple days.

Adire audio

have a well received and popular model called the <a href="http://www.adireaudio.com/cd/he10_1.htm">HE 10.1's</a>. A bit over your budget for the driver/xover combo, but if you want a DIY project you would be doing yourself a disservice if you did not investigate them.

Cheers

I'm planning on using them for about 75% music and 25% HT.

Basiclly, I'm a college kid with extremely limited funds. I'm not loooking for anything Earth-shattering, but I'd like to end up with speakers that perform extremely well for their price. Kind of a sound quality per $$$ type of thing.

I would like to start with a fairly cheap set of drivers that work well together and get the most out of them with a properly designed enclosure and XO.

I only have one DIY project under my belt so far (a sonotube sub), so I'm still extremely new to this game.

Joel

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
TimeLord said:
I'd like to end up with speakers that roll off under 60hz while keeping the total project under $200. I'm leaning towards a MTM design

The Adire Grandpop is surprisingly good for a limited budget.

And i sure like my RS 40-1197 BD-Pipes. If you could find enuff 1197s at your local RSs for the clear-out price you could have yourself a whole 5-speaker HT for less than $200.

The Grangpops go a little lower, and are more extended at the top (unless you add a fill tweeter to the BD-Pipes (as i have done). Otherwise the BD-pipes are quite a bit better (assuming your room can support a bipolar speaker.

dave

Dave,

The BD-Pipe speakers are very intriguing. Do you have an internal wiring diagram for them? I also have a question about the drivers. I checked out the Fostex website and they no longer offer the FE103 sigma. The do have a FE108 sigma. Would this driver be comparable?

The Grandpops are also very intersting. The price is definately right, but I've got another question on the drivers. The adire audio schematic calls for a Vifa D19SD-05 tweeter. Parts Express carries a D19TD-05. Do you know what the difference between these tweeters is?

Thanks again for all your help.

Joel

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
TimeLord said:
The BD-Pipe speakers are very intriguing. Do you have an internal wiring diagram for them? I also have a question about the drivers. I checked out the Fostex website and they no longer offer the FE103 sigma. The do have a FE108 sigma. Would this driver be comparable?

The actual driver these were designed for is the ACR FE103. The ACRs specs fall between the basic FE103 ($31*) and the FE108 ($67*) *(available at Madisound).

The FE103s keep you within your budget ($124 for drivers, leaving $76 for boxes and optional super-tweeters). They become a real kick-*** bargain if you can get Radio Shack 40-1197s for the $4.97 each clearance price.

The FE108s are better suited to a horn (but they are a very nice driver) The ACRs are better than the Fostexs which are better than the RSs.

The wiring is simple -- wire the 2 drives in parallel for 4 ohms (or series for 16 ohm). If a super-tweeter is added it is used 1st order (just a cap in series).

The BD-Pipes have no baffle-step because they are bi-polar. They also seem very synergetic with SE-amps. I am working on a more optimum design for the Radio Shacks and someday i'd like to play with a set of FE108s.

The Grandpops are also very intersting. The price is definately right, but I've got another question on the drivers. The adire audio schematic calls for a Vifa D19SD-05 tweeter. Parts Express carries a D19TD-05. Do you know what the difference between these tweeters is?

Adire has a suggested replacement for the discontinued tweeter -- i can't remember what it is.

dave

Hi,

take a look the single driver website:

http://melhuish.org/audio/index.htm

Look for the projects based on Radio Shack 40-1197, and 40-1354, as they are very cheap. There are some other projects that use Fostex 103 sigma and 108 sigma. As for the Fostex 103 (not sigma) it seems that is the same driver as the RS-40-1197.

Another very simple project (bass-reflex box) with Fostex /ACR 103 sigma is l'Audiophile Le Petit:

http://members.aol.com/ikschiffer/fostex/petit_uk.html

(BTW, there is a thread dealing about this project in this forum, you should find there more information).

Good luck,

JP

forgot this one.............

High efficiency, decent bass and all-around quite decent sounding project that will fit inside your budget. The two Eminences can be obtained from Parts Express and should be around $70 each. If you cant get the RatShack tweet, there are alternatives like the little Pioneer horn PE sells for about $10.

I have heard one of these, and with the coating on the driver it was very, very good for the $$$. Goes lod too.

http://www.fortunecity.com/rivendell/xentar/1179/projects/afterburner/Afterburner.html

HTH

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.