• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

improving the Mcintosh C22

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Kmtang, you conncted heaters to the HT?
Interesting, how does this get rid of hum, does it raise the 6.3v ac component upon such a high DC level you somehow get less inteference from it?

I have run my heaters from DC and i can hear no hum at all
(after i replaced a regulator valve which was oscillating)
I only hear a small hiss through the cheapo amp i have just tested through on maximum volume no signal input.

You said you can still hear huma bit, this might be interesting for you
http://members.aol.com/sbench/humbal.html

Cheers
Craig

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Johnny & Craig,
Normally the heaters are run +30 ~ 50VDC above ground. Just off the final tap on the B+ line. This acts as a light bleeder. Many units have this as one resistor. Just calculate the voltage and replace the one resistor with two. Add a cap to ground at that junction and run to the heaters.

-Chris

Craig405 said:
Kmtang, you conncted heaters to the HT?
Interesting, how does this get rid of hum, does it raise the 6.3v ac component upon such a high DC level you somehow get less inteference from it?

Sort of. If the heater is negative wrt the cathode, it can act as a cathode with the "real" cathode filling in the anode role. This unintentional diode can couple heater hum to the cathode.

By biasing the heater positive wrt the cathode, you "reverse bias" the unintentional diode.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.