Impressed with new DIY interconnects

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
http://www.wires.co.uk/acatalog/SILVER_TUBE.html

The kinking could be minimized if foam Teflon or cotton fiber was used inside the silver tube.

Edit: I just took a second look. That silver tubing is not the best. They´re only 30 cm long and worst of all it´s 9.25 silver. Not good for audio, trust me.

Sorry about that.

Pushing this to the extreme, could one make a conductor such that the difference between LF and HF isnt that great not because LF doesnt have more conductor, but that theres very little HF resistance either? Say a 1" silver plated copper tube or a 1.5" polypropylene tube wrapped in silver foil.

Tweeker said:
Pushing this to the extreme, could one make a conductor such that the difference between LF and HF isnt that great not because LF doesnt have more conductor, but that theres very little HF resistance either? Say a 1" silver plated copper tube or a 1.5" polypropylene tube wrapped in silver foil.

Yeah, I can´t see why one has to stick with round wires. There´s an on-line excerpt of Allen Wright´s Supercable Cookbook around where he explains the advantages of foils over round wires. His basic design consists of a Teflon strip sandwiched between two foils.

I did try foils once or twice. I bought a silver foil inductor from Alphawire from which I made a pair of ICs (which I no longer have) and speaker cables following the book´s recipes. The latter are perhaps the best sounding speaker cables I´ve made so far.

Two foils spiralling around a hollow tube is a good idea. You minimize the typical high-capacitance and use the second best dielectric, and achieve some EMI rejection. You could also use some shielding if you feel necessary.
And if you find the sound too extreme, nothing prevents you from running a number of round conductors through the tube. Some Siltechs are made this way.

The Omega-Mikros and the Mapleshade Audios are just copper foils that run freely from plug to plug. Some kind of bags space them apart to prevent shorts.

Well, looks like the excerpt is no longer on-line. But the book is still on sale.

http://www.vacuumstate.com/cables.htm

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.