Implementation of Fostex FF85wk

Playing around with different woofers to be used with my Fostex ff85wk. Can I use it open baffle like several of Martin J King's projects or is it still best in some kind of MLTL or BR perhaps integrated into my woofer box design? Thanks for any and all suggestions.

As long as you free the ff85 from bass duties you are free to decide which enclosure you go for.
Depends more on room, bass need, application, SPL and the woofers you want to use.
I suppose you have them already?
Active or passive xo?

Anyway, this is one nice full range driver with sweet treble.

crossing high around 3000 or even higher
Then I don´t understand your initial question!
Why would you put the FF85 in a ML-TL (which sure sounds nice and can be easily crossed to a woofer) if you want to cross it at 3k?
The woofers would be nice in a ML-TL though.
(but I personally would in any case cross at 400Hz max. to keep the fullrange character)

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
We did a version of the MJK passive baffle with the FF85k and Eminence Alpha 15. The FF85 worked wnderfully, i was not so thrilled with the woofer.

As Jeff suggests, both woofer & midTweeter should be OB, or both be in a box.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Baffle was made of a surplus meeting tabletop cut in half.

dave

Attachments

• mjk-ob1.jpg
    mjk-ob1.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 912
  • mjk-ob2.jpg
    mjk-ob2.jpg
    578 KB · Views: 938
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I would recommend Open Baffle for the FF85k with a crossover placed a bit higher, e.g. 500Hz, then support with ML-TL woofer to give best of tradeoffs concerning bass impact, size and room placement.

IIRC the MJK passive OB crosses the midTweeter over at about 450 Hz. It works well and th espilt XO deals with the baffle response.

dave

Long before covid.

People came to the event. Hugged and shook hands.

dave

Oh well. Still made me laugh. I was picturing a BC Chainsaw Massacre, with those airport guy earmuffs...

The 'baffles' on these pipe monsters I built for a friend ca. 2000 (MLTL, although I did not know this term back then) were hacked from melamine kitchen top. Woofers are modified vintage Radio Shack 40-1197 with added mass and white glue coating (carefully avoided the fabric surround). Surprising amount of bass in a small appartment! Tweeter heavily padded down so efficiency is best studied by speleologists...

--Christian

Attachments

• Periscope5.jpg
    Periscope5.jpg
    318.5 KB · Views: 216
Last edited:
I have tried my FF85wks in various configurations that use helping woofers. An image of the current configuration is shown below.

Each FF85wk is in a sealed enclosure that is concealed in a 24"-diameter papier mache sphere, which sits on a bass module with two 8" woofers. This configuration produces the best sound I've gotten from those small drivers. I am very satisfied with the sound. To me, they are "as good as it gets" for systems using tiny fullrange drivers.

Kurt

Attachments

• FF85wks in spheres.jpg
    FF85wks in spheres.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 219