I'm newbie: Please help with xa30.5 question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all,

First of all I am glad that i found this forum where i can learn about amps and get good advices from people who know about hi-fi audio.

I am currently in a process of building 2 channel system. My choice of amp is xa30.5. i think this amp fits my requirements- good looks, produces superb sound and well reviewed by users and the pros around the world.

I would like to drive the amp with Nad M51 which is a dac and preamp. I am wondering if m51 can work with xa30.5 without a dedicated preamp. With this setup, i am thinking to use balanced mode- is the amp sensitive to which brand of cables i use?

Also, how would you rate the quality of analogue components that go into the amp?

Thank you.

Love the name. Easy enough to try in terms of gain.if more is needed, qusality preamps are everywhere. It is really dependent on your speakers and system. Its quality is outstanding and no need to touch the psrts. Cables, i will stay away from. Too spicy a topic.

This amplifier may have a good specification but lack design. The heat sink extrusions are the wrong orientation and will not dissipate any heat efficiently.
I will pass on the quality of components fitted, I have no component listing but they look OK. If they were not up to scratch, the manufacturer would loose their name pretty quickly.

if you look at this sinks. the fins are at 45degree angle. so the heat is NOT traped. the same sinks are also used for all firstwatt amps.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
You can rest assured that a Pass amp can dissipate whatever heat it needs to.

I talk to the designer fairly regularly, and know that the components inside are all top quality.

Cables? If a cable is 1) long enough, 2) free of short or open circuits, and 3) terminated with the connectors you need, it is a good and necessary part of your audio system. Anything past that is bonus!

As for drive, the M51 has a (max)2v output. The xa30.5 has an input sensitivity of .77v to it's full gain. I.E., if you turn the M51 all the way up, it will be really, really, really loud.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Zen Mod, what, you want one all chrome-shiny? Like a Harley-Davidson?

chromehog_zps5db394a2.jpg

lol :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.