Ifi Zen Streamer… Software PITA

Anyone have the connection problems that mine suffers?? When working works and sounds great. But always persists with connection problems after working correctly for awhile. Both over excellent Wifi and direct connection. The latest is digital skipping after playing from 2-5 min correctly. Locks up and looking at connection status on Spotify and shows no connection. Also cant find on wifi connection list. So reboot and then it sees it again only to go through same scenario again. When using software to go through reset up on network it takes over an hour. just keep doing the same setup over and over and one time it will work. All I see are glowing reviews but nothing about software. have updated software to latest and connected with ethernet. Working so far but I don't trust it. It's worked for months before problems show up.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
This device is faulty by design. I had a recent but preowned one for 1 day and it needed a reset 4 times that evening. This was with most recent firmware and the switch in the normal setting. The fact that the most recent firmware is from 2021 says enough, Ifi doesn't seem to support the device anymore. It seems to suffer both from software and eventually hardware problems with strong suspicion towards the wireless card. According knowledgable members here the kernel is old as the CPU is unusual and no new kernels will be developed anymore.

Unreliable crappy device, avoid it and if you have one get rid of it. I have a weak spot for Elac DS-S101-G and had several of these and now have 2 in use. Not a single one had/has issues.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
It is a pity as its sonical performance is top notch. Launched too early, not enough tested, wrong CPU platform, dependence on a third party software company, promises that were not kept... All in all truely a missed opportunity that had high potential.

Proof that talented people also can make mistakes and/or wrong decisions.

Last edited:
Well I have a cheap looking Wallwart. I've read that at one point they were shipping the cheaper ones for awhile. I'll have to measure. I'll just try a Linear PS and see how it does. Have to say last thing I did was load latest software and run on ethernet. Also used interface to select Spotify only turned off all others. Switch on back is still set on all though. It has not had a problem but that has only been a week.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
From what I've understood this is the standard failure mode. It has a switcher that is powered on 24/7 and so is a part of the Zen Stream. After a certain time the Zen Stream will become unstable regardless of software/reimaging/resets/switch settings. It kinda explains that some are very satisfied with rock stable performance (cough) only to have a brick one day. There exist rev. 1.3 types but I have no experience with those. First time in years that I was so dissatisfied in audio hardware.

Yes the first ones had the super duper "better" (but prematurely dying) Ifi Ipower 9/12/15V switchers. After the launch they delivered it with cheaper switchers. If enduring the device was not sadomasochistic enough one maybe also has to cope with failing switchers. Maybe you can try out 12V.

Last edited:

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Mine is unquestionablly inconsistent as well. When it works, it sounds fantastic, but has dropouts galore, some that self-fix, others that require a reset, others yet that require a power cycle, and on top of that doesn’t like to properly connect 50% of the time on power up.

Hey just a follow-up to let everyone know. I got this streamer all setup again after power outage and fought it for a couple of hours. I found latest firmware and downloaded. At first I dropped power and it wouldn't come back up again. After getting back running noticed it reverted back to older firmware so updated again and remembered to save the config this time. Well it is all working great now. Doesn't digital skip anymore and if I drop power it will come right back up and play when I connect with phone. it's been a couple of months now. Crossing fingers.