If it's purely an engineering challenge why bother designing yet another DAC?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Simply refusing to accept the established evidence in the field of sensory testing does obviously not help, strong belief is no substitute for knowledge.

Please a little harmless exaggeration to wake you up. :) I've said several times I read most of the ITU methodology and agreed that it is a good start. But markw4 claims it is impossibly time consuming and expensive so we are left with his stories of listening impressions presented as facts. Maybe he is taking your advice about improperly conducted double blind tests destroying one's ability to hear subtle differences.

Sorry sighted listening of clock rolling does not "establish evidence".

Well...

Oh, Stradivaris also lose a lot of their special sound in blind tests, even among
professionals that are used to them.
I have once pointed to a reference in this large 3-part ego surfing thread.

There are two ways of interpreting such a result:

1. All violins sound the same

2. Blind testing for such things can be problematic

If the answer is 1., then there is an enormous problem, as we would have proven that subjective evaluation of sound and music is terribly flawed... If that is so, how does a conductor do his job? Or a music producer? Or a mastering engineer?

IMO, the thing is, all of these professional people live and breathe music, and sound evaluation, they are experienced at what they do, and they have learned how to do it.

There are two ways of interpreting such a result:

1. All violins sound the same

2. Blind testing for such things can be problematic

If the answer is 1., then there is an enormous problem, as we would have proven that subjective evaluation of sound and music is terribly flawed... If that is so, how does a conductor do his job? Or a music producer? Or a mastering engineer?

IMO, the thing is, all of these professional people live and breathe music, and sound evaluation, they are experienced at what they do, and they have learned how to do it.
I happened to listen to two violins visiting a musician of an opera house. One of them was a German violin of the late 18th century. A second violin was bought in a store for his daughter at a music school. It is useless to blindfold. Not to mention the sound quality, I can say that the German violin sounds even much stronger and louder. Only the deaf will not hear this difference.
The sound, of course, is also of a completely different quality.

Last edited:
Sorry sighted listening of clock rolling does not "establish evidence".
He's been listening sighted? If so, that explains why he won't disclose the details of his listening test setup.

I fully admit that my statement was an oversimplification, in order to make a point.
That point being a business agenda to push. Why would I say that? You work for a company that sells boutique DACs.

GUNFU, I found and watched the film Whiplash, and I thank you for recommending it.
The theme appears extreme, as I have only had one guy, Bill Graham, of Fillmore fame, behave in such a way, and he had minimal effect on getting the most out of anybody using that technique.
I have studied ballet seriously, and I know well the dancer-instructor relationship, which is strong, as well as being faculty at an institute in Switzerland, where I noted the interaction of the classical musicians with their mentors, again serious, strong, but not like the guy in the film. I think the guy went too far, and lost a good deal of potential talent because of it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.