If it's purely an engineering challenge why bother designing yet another DAC?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've had some interesting discussions with JohnW in the noDAC thread. He puts more trust in uncontrolled listening tests than I would and he sometimes seems to have difficulty grasping theoretical arguments (which is logical without formal engineering education), but he definitely knows what he is writing about. In any case, I think it is remarkable that he managed to design mass-produced electronic equipment without any formal engineering education.

What do you consider 'Bringing to the forum?' Personally I consider a tested and characterised board, with BOM and Gerber available for any DIY'r to build far more of a 'bring' than pages of pontification.

That was a long time ago and yes, there were a few very impressive projects.
Sadly he appears to have regressed into a predominately negative, derogatory
existence here for many years now. It's a shame, smart man.

AFAICS JW comes here with good intent and I can personally relate to a lot of
what he says. The problem is a lot of it has a subjective component and there
is a general trend towards lack of tolerance for the subjective side of audio here.

TCD

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Sorry Terry it was about 3 months ago he last posted a project.

@Mark: you are being bitter and twisted today. Also if you read the design threads that SYN08 posts on you will see teaching there as well. Teaching is very different from glomming.

How are John's crowdfunding projects going?

@Mark: you are being bitter and twisted today.

Perhaps. Working through some issues, but I shouldn't let it affect others.

Regarding other stuff: I like JW's contributions despite that they are more or less as Terry says. IMO there is still some need for subjectivity in audio design. Too many small effects we don't model in enough detail, subjectivity is the practical way we have of dealing with them, again IMO only.

Also, I noticed Syn is working on a project which may end up being something pretty nice. He's much more influential and in a positive way now than he was there for awhile.

Last edited:
Sorry Terry it was about 3 months ago he last posted a project.

The ADC thread?

@Mark: you are being bitter and twisted today.

Haha - far from it. This place is not high on my priority list these days.
I just don't have the time to follow most of that is happening here and as you
will notice I'm happy to be corrected WRT things I have missed.

I've been a member here 12 yrs longer than you, generally speaking, the
place used to be a lot more tolerant. Higher S/N. We've lost quite a few
because of that.

Also if you read the design threads that SYN08 posts on you will see teaching there as well. Teaching is very different from glomming.

You mean the ADC thread, yes he seems to be behaving himself there, which has to be a good thing.

How are John's crowdfunding projects going?

Maybe you should direct that cynicism at him. I'm out of the loop.

TCD

It is more than sample rates, and what is concerning is beyond just raising the sample rate. I predicted 40 years ago that doubling the sampling rate (or more) would be a great step and maybe the last necessary step, but I was wrong. About 20 years ago, I still had that view, but I had dinner with a well known recording engineer with Chesky Records, and he told me (for example) that 196K was important, even then. Now, we know there is more than JUST sampling rate, at least most of us who really listen for differences, and apparently (according to Markw4) we can even significantly improve CD, even with its low sampling rate. I hope, in future, to try what he suggests, because mostly I don't like CD reproduction to use it on a regular basis. The rest here who are happy with the status quo, enjoy your music!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.