If it's purely an engineering challenge why bother designing yet another DAC?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So it’s just your overpowering concern for welfare of the deluded that drives you? :D

Their welfare does not particularly concern me other than at a basic human level. And if you need a reason, then maybe being locked down gives me the opportunity to contribute here in place of the normal conversations I would be having.

However, I do admit to being somewhat discouraged that in place of rational argument, some here just drop a few names (even of people that, unbeknown to the contributor yesterday, I actually know very well personally as well as professionally), slate their work without justification, throw in a few pseudo-scientific terms, state that I have made errors without disclosing what they are talking about, or fail to respond to my questions because they appear to run away!

JC is here looking for ideas and maybe to spread some accumulated wisdom. (shameless Wilson audio and bybee plugs aside!)

Mark, he’s in the business of course! J/k.........seems like he has a extreme interest in digital audio and just wants to be on the cutting edge or in the loop one might say.
He helps a lot of people including myself, but I don’t take his word for gospel (and I think that aggravates him a little....sorry Mark!) as no one should take any one word for gospel.

I do trust both JC and Marks subjective opinions as having relevance

All just in my opinion of course.

Last edited:
Go take a look at Bob Ludwig's shop and the mastering engineers that work with him. Extremely doubtful they are all imagining things they hear on mixes that need fixing. It is their occupation to be catch small errors others have missed.

Is the conclusion being formed here that an entire occupation is based on fixing delusional problems that don't exist?

Why does that follow? I like Bob he respects everything he works on. I would assume he makes changes to mix and equalization from years of experience, knowing what real measurable changes are being made. Why would delusion even enter into it. Does he roll op-amps and swap capacitors depending on what style of music he is mixing, I don't think so.

If one notices the things are rated for a few amps (!). Makes sense then to run a few amps through them using an ultra low distortion power amp such as AHB2 and bridge the device with an AP. Probably, some measurable effects will be seen.

Yes they have a tiny series resistance and would have a few 1000ths of a dB attenuation and nothing else. The Bybee thing is an insult to everyone's intelligence. I suppose if someone sliced up fossilized dinosaur turds to stick on top of your DAC with a story about the concentrated energy of organic foliage untainted by human existence and a group of folks claimed "dramatic" improvements, you would say the same things.

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
I’ve been trying to affix reason to any of this......what’s your endgame soundbloke?

Most everyone in the audio hobby or business is aware that our senses are as fickle as a woman in menopause, some are just better at handling it than others.

Why does anyone need an endgame? And note Bob, you consider yourself a better than average listener. I just hope that isn't the same as people who consider themselves a better than average driver or better than average lover ;)

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Why does that follow? I like Bob he respects everything he works on. I would assume he makes changes to mix and equalization from years of experience, knowing what real measurable changes are being made. Why would delusion even enter into it. Does he roll op-amps and swap capacitors depending on what style of music he is mixing, I don't think so.

Put better than I could have. Pretty sure mastering involves a dB here or there on eq and similar on compression. All measurable with almost anything. Nothing to do with stuff waaaaaay down that would require a major leap of faith in terms of the understanding of human hearing.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
However, I do admit to being somewhat discouraged that in place of rational argument, some here just drop a few names (even of people that, unbeknown to the contributor yesterday, I actually know very well personally as well as professionally), slate their work without justification, throw in a few pseudo-scientific terms, state that I have made errors without disclosing what they are talking about, or fail to respond to my questions because they appear to run away!

He's been doing the same for the last 30 years or so, so it's not you.

Why does anyone need an endgame? And note Bob, you consider yourself a better than average listener. I just hope that isn't the same as people who consider themselves a better than average driver or better than average lover ;)

it's just a figure of speech, out of curiosity....
kinda like when are we gonna get to the real point......which I believe is coming into focus a bit better.

I consider anyone who puts in the time for education and experience in a subject, absorbing as many views as possible to be above avg in whatever field that may be.....not expert by any means just informed.

as far as subjective opinions i treat it the same as online reviews.....avg the results, research, decide if it warrants further investigation. it's very hard buying gear these days without some sort of guidance.

Last edited:
As an aside: regarding Bybees, obviously they don't do what it says in the advertising, but I believe people who tell me they can affect sound, usually a little for the worse, sometimes a little for the better.
What you should say is they can affect the perception of sound. That is unless your belief is based on evidence.

You guys are just as biased as any listeners. You are biased against me because I say things you don't like to hear and do want to disbelieve. You can't make reality up by rationalizing that things must be like you want them to be. They are what they are, and it takes research not debate to settle what the facts actually are.
We keep asking you for the evidence of audibility claims you've made because you haven't presented any.

Also, no disagreement that you probably encountered a small number of people with surprisingly good listening abilities. I believe they exist, although some here might be biased to accept a claim to that effect coming from you and not if coming from me. Does't change the underlying fact of whether such listeners exist or not. Illustrates that people's beliefs are formed in ways that are in general not very reliable.
You are free form your opinion based on belief. Your opinion may hold more value if you base it on facts.

I do trust both JC and Marks subjective opinions as having relevance
JC stated his credential regarding audio electronics but Markw4 hasn't that I know of, which begs a question, do you know what his credential regarding audio electronics is?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.