IEEE Spectrum article on DVD modding

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Some exposure for our hobby:
The IEEE Spectrum magazine has published an article on DIY'ers performing modifications to low end gear like cheap DVD players. The article even goes into detail on how to mod a Toshiba SD4960 (or Samsung DVD-HD841). I like this passage from the article: "The three places where tweaks to an inexpensive player can make the most difference are the power supply, the power supply, and the power supply.".

Even though it's not a mainstream publication, it is still interesting to see some exposure for our hobby (and our forum, which is mentioned in the article). I'm sure that many who read it didn't realise that there were so many people out there doing this.

It appears to me the Forums are actually full of useful informations. Some members, but not all, are starting to open-up their box of secrets which is really nice to see.

There are many nice discussions for those who have time to read and are interested in variety of fields - power supplies being only one very small part of Forum subjects.

I don't think anyone is writing the history here, but many manufacturers should login from time to time with their notepads ready to write down a hint or 2.

Extreme_Boky

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.