Ideal 'helper' tweeter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
carlosfm said:
Nuuk,

Just want to point out that you can't cross a supertweeter at ~6k with a first order crossover.
You must go above 10k.
I doubt that you need to cross that low with your fullranges, unless you cross the fullranges too.
Someone suggested you a pair of Seas tweeters (with low FS), and it was a good recomendation, based on what you want to do:att'n:

Depends on the tweeter and what volume level you require. While they'll have to handle more power and acoustic output with the less steep filter, that's a question for the person living with the speakers (a big strength of DIY is adapting your sound to your preferences). I generally like to XO them first order in that range, but it won't give the full acoustical output potential of the system (or power handling), which for a horn loaded 98.5dB tweet, for example, shouldn't really be an issue for rational home use.

But if you need to crank them up in a stadium, by all means, use MUCH steeper filters)

badman said:
Depends on the tweeter and what volume level you require. While they'll have to handle more power and acoustic output with the less steep filter, that's a question for the person living with the speakers (a big strength of DIY is adapting your sound to your preferences). I generally like to XO them first order in that range, but it won't give the full acoustical output potential of the system (or power handling), which for a horn loaded 98.5dB tweet, for example, shouldn't really be an issue for rational home use.

I really don't like spitty/distorted mids, that's what I mean. And it shows at low volume too.
To cross first order at 6k you need a really good, low FS tweeter.
You can't do this with a "supertweeter", or even with a normal tweeter.
I'm a fan of first order too, that's what I use (the Epos ES11 speakers). But that tweeter is exceptional. That tweeter can be crossed much lower (1st order) than what's used on the Epos and sound natural, I have tried it.

Hi Nuuk,

You could try designing a cross-over with single cap at around 7khz but with a high pass second element that kicks in at a lower frequency.

This arrangement avoids the sharp "knee" that messes up the sound but still adds some extra LF filtering.

:)

Nuuk, I don't know if they're similar, though they look to be of the same fostex family. Only way to find out is to try them. I wish you good luck!

Carlos, the behavior of a tweeter is dependent upon many factors. I've played with many tweeters first order in this range, and with the appropriate sensitivity, and they do not cause spitty mids, unless overdriven, which will largely find its limits with the midwoof, in this instance. While your epos tweets may be nice, there's nothing about them, AFAIK, that makes them terribly unique or special, except that they're the tweeter that you're currently using. Cheers!

badman said:
While your epos tweets may be nice, there's nothing about them, AFAIK, that makes them terribly unique or special, except that they're the tweeter that you're currently using. Cheers!

Hey, I've heard and tested many tweeters.
These are very good, and can be crossed very low.
I have spares. I've opened them.
They are well made, and have a big back chamber, they work very well when crossed low, even 1st order.
Most others don't, IME.
But if your post above makes you happy, I'll let you be happy for a while. ;)

Crikey ,

Just read this thread ,I remember Coles tweeters from yonks back
when I built my first stereo with sn76013's,garrard sp25mk2 ,Acos
gp93/1 cartridge Ah brings back memories!! I couldnt aspire to them then and it looks like the same applies now! i forget the speakers they were probably something really naff like poly planars HaHa

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Nuuk said:
do you know if I bought on Ebay are the same (or similar) as the Fostex horn tweeters? [/B]

Those are the tweeters out of a pair of radio shack add on pods. They are a foster horn that should be very similar ro the FT17. They are excellent and you got the pair for an excellent price.

I almost mentioned these earlier in the thread.

dave

Attachments

• rs-1310-pods.jpg
    rs-1310-pods.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 188
Those are the tweeters out of a pair of radio shack add on pods. They are a foster horn that should be very similar ro the FT17. They are excellent and you got the pair for an excellent price.

Thanks Dave, just what I wanted to hear! :) I even got the shipping charges waved because I gave the seller some advice on his own hi-fi.

If it's not too much trouble, I guess the impedance curve would be useful in planning a crossover! :scratch:

well - if your happy with trial & error no problems... :)

however for good educated guess you you need to work out the cap value whos capacitive reactance ( Xc ) equals the impedance of the device at the selected X-over frequency.

Xc = 1/ 2pi FC

where Xc = capacitive reactance
F = cross-over frequency
C = value of cap

so C = 1/ 2pi F Xc ( I think )

then you have to do the listening & ( measuring if possible ) ... :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.