I’d prefer a separate forum for Horn speakers

at AA one is stuck pretty much with BFM's input (not a bad thing-but)... At Klipsch forums its rightfully limited pretty much to builds and updates of the Klipsch Heritage lineup.

New folded horns may take mods or more than one build for refinement.

With a "C" fold, varying the lid angle can help find a smooth response- (this is a tip from RCA-Fan )

maybe the subwoofer forum can accomodate most lower frequency horn builds
?
Two 15" in a reflex can"beat" one-12" in a horn of similar bulk (say 6CF internall) for max output. Some folks play with lower wattage amplifiers where the horn may be deemed to have some value.

Attachments

• horn tip.jpg
    horn tip.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 55
I don't know about you, but I'm not worried about novices here. If you were proposing to add 15-20 more subforums the diyAudio.com all at once, then you might have a relevant argument. As it is (and please pardon me for calling it as I see it) it looks merely like a slippery slope argument.

As an example of related but arbitray thinking on this subject (i.e., successfully adding subforums to diyAudio), the Room Acoustics and Mods subforum created just a few years ago I think had a lot less reason to be created here (...in my view...) as evidenced by a general lack of interest at all home hi-fi audio forums in room acoustics by their member populations. I believe that prediction turned out to be fairly accurate, although I believe everyone's setups here would sound much better if they paid a lot more attention to that subject.

However, this particular subject (i.e., a subforum on high-efficiency loudspeakers) got me out of my "reading mode" into a "communicating mode" since I think there are more than a few others here that also share this same interest--and would assure a good outcome if the subforum were created. I know that it would help me greatly in the MEH and DSP worlds.-where I spend my time nowadays. I wouldn't have to create a separate standalone forum for the purposes of talking about these emerging subjects, thus sharing with others that are interested and that might create their own loudspeakers using these ideas here instead of elsewhere.

Chris

All horns are waveguides. Not all waveguides are horns. Some say it the other way around. A waveguide simply guides the direction with no gain whereas a horn directs and adds an acoustic gain. That's not a perfect definition but it gives the idea.
Thanks Cal. That matches my understandings succinctly.
I didn't mean to be asking a real question.....i was just poking a little fun at how crazy and worked up, conversation often gets over 'defining definitions' Lol.
Sorry my intentions weren't more obvious.

All horns are waveguides. Not all waveguides are horns...A waveguide simply guides the direction with no gain whereas a horn directs and adds an acoustic gain.
This is another "definition game" that I think mark100 was referring to.

IIRC, the term "waveguide" was promoted to "horn" status by a member of this forum as a way of separating out his horn designs that he dubbed "waveguides", and that focused on directivity control and lower internal diffraction, i.e., no slots in the horn throats to spread out acoustic energy at higher frequencies (otherwise called constant directivity horns instead of controlled directivity horns).

This is what I referred to as the nostalgia of past horn designs that were optimized for low frequency "cutoff" gain. Horns having curved walls near their throat entrances are the type of older designs were generally designed for maximizing horn gain--for when amplifiers were expensive and of low power, but there was a driving need to fill very large commercial movie theaters with sound.

But these older designs do not have constant directivity (the most important single factor in Olive's loudspeaker preferences decision model)--like horns having straight walls near their throats. If you design a wide band horn for full-range controlled directivity, then straight walls near the throat are required. Generally, these are called waveguides instead of horns by their proponents. I still use the term "horn", because that's what they are. There are really only older design horns for low frequency cutoff gain, and newer design horns for wide band controlled directivity.

Chris

There will always be fuzzy lines between different topics. For instance some of the full range threads have designs with crossovers, (but they will have a full range driver)

Probably not practical, but if there was a search engine function which allowed you to put "horn" in and all the threads with horn in the title came up, might that be an answer?

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Hi all :)

I have been lurking around here on diyAudio for years now, mostly looking for horn-related stuff. I really want a "Horn section/subforum"! (y):D

I have experienced a pair of very efficient horn-loaded PA bas-binns in my living-room, and I was litterally blown away! Such nice powerful and clean bas, almost weightless! I have been looking for that ever since.

I have also heard some interesting stuff at the European Triode Festival years ago, again horn-loaded. I want more of that!

Actually my member-name is "hornsteff", because I originally came here to specifically find information and knowledge on horns! But that has proven not to be that easy and straight forward, because the horn-stuff is "hidden" in the multi-way section, flooded with conventional direct-radiators-stuff. I have actually had a most educational detour to the klipsch-forum in regard to horn-knowledge, but think I want to stay here for now.

I have not had a chance to build something yet, but I am definitely collecting knowledge and trying to find out where and how to start, and who to ask questions! Unity-, Synergy- and now Multi-Entry-horns caught my interest! So I always type unity, synergy or MEH in the search-field to filter out threads and projects of interest, but not everything of interest surfaces in that way!? So again a "Horn section/subforum" would be most appreciated.

And in regard to guiding novices, I think that is a bad idea. Everyone has to find his own way, do the homework of reading a lot of different threads.

Also I would prefer a horn-section over a high efficiency-section. Because when is something high efficient? 93dB/W/m, 95dB/W/m, 100dB/W/m etc ?

Regards from Denmark

Steffen

Also I would prefer a horn-section over a high efficiency-section. Because when is something high efficient? 93dB/W/m, 95dB/W/m, 100dB/W/m etc ?

This has been debated 'ad nauseam' to no firm agreement TTBOMK, so with 1.0% = 92 dB/W/m and max 50 % = 109 dB/W/m base speaker efficiency I long ago chose (92*109)^0.5 = > ~ 100 dB/W/m for high efficiency while most others have chosen 94 - 97 dB/W/m as more realistic based on the more efficient wide range drivers.