• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Iconic Hewlett-Packard Barney Oliver Amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is a Barney Oliver Amplifier designed by Mr. Oliver when he served as the Head of R&D for the Hewlett-Packard Company. I am a former HP employee (22 years), and the original owner of the amplifier. I have the original bill of sale, dated June 15th 1973. As the story goes, Barney wanted an amp for his home and was disappointed in the specs and performance of the units that were commercially available, so he designed this amplifier. The units were manufactured by HP in the early 70’s and made available to employees only. I understand that a very limited production run of the amplifier was done and no more than 500 units were made. Thus, this is a very unique and rare piece of electronics.

Please take the time to read through the story from HP about the history of the Barney Oliver Amplifier.

Barney Oliver Amplifier

The unit has been not been in day to day use for a long while, but I did hook it perhaps a year ago and it performed flawlessly. The condition of the unit is very good in my opinion. The only missing part is a small metal box that covered the fuses (pictured).

Along with the original bill of sale, I have the user manual with all pages fully intact, a manual update sheet and an original insurance policy for the unit.

I am asking $1000 for the amp if paid by Money Order or Electronic Funds Transfer. The price is $1030, if paid by PayPal. I am guessing the ground shipment cost to ship the unit will be $39.99 to the buyer, although I am guessing it will be more, which I will absorb. I will ground ship to U.S. Continental Destinations only, with full insurance provided.

I would love to see “Barney” go to a new home that will really appreciate its lineage and performance.

Here are some pictures of the Amp. I have many more if a potential buyer is interested.

Thanks!

Attachments

• L1020841.jpg
    L1020841.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 161
  • L1020846.jpg
    L1020846.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 162
  • L1020850.jpg
    L1020850.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 164
  • L1020825.jpg
    L1020825.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 155
  • L1020852.jpg
    L1020852.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 153
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.