IcePower 1200AS2 - buzzing Issue?

Hi folks

I just received a used, new to me, Mivera IcePower 1200AS2.

Who here has a buzzing noise coming from theres? With nothing, just power I am hearing a good buzzing sound even sitting 15 feet away. Nothing appears to be damaged on the inside. Tried different power cords and outlets throughout the house. No Change

Is this normal - Plays music fine and no noise through the speakers, this is coming right from the power transformer. I've googled high and low and found nothing related to this

Please tell me this isn't normal.. There was a minor dent to the bottom of the box it came in, pretty well packed. Would a flat drop jig something around?

I believe while looking through the Mivera forums (for another reason) someone complaining of this issue and some sound deadening material was given to the user to line the insides of the amp to try and mute it a bit.

I have some Ice 700ASC modules here I intend on powering up today to see if they do this.

Sounds like an issue to me - and I've also read (on the Mivera forums) that B&O has a huge backlog / backorder of the 1200 modules - i'm curious if there is some sort of defect.

I just got a 1200AS2 based unit from Apollon Audio and also immediately noticed a slight buzzing coming from the box (but not the speakers) when I turned it on. Not super loud, but definitely noticeable when no music was playing.

I contacted Apollon and was informed this was normal transformer noise for this board. Not ideal, but it wasn't a dealbreaker for me as the actual sound from the speakers is great for the price.

However after having it poweredup for a few hours the buzzing got significantly quieter to the point where it's more or less buried in my room's noise floor and not an issue. Even after turning it off overnight, it was still at the quieter level when I turned it on this morning - so hopefully yours may settle down a little too?

buzz 1200as

yes, I just received ALAUDA XS-2400 (2 x icepower1200as2)
from ROUGE

It does buzz but very hard to hear unless you remove cover seems quiter once warmed up and they do produce heat.
This has good components and sounds fantastic much quiter than my Atma-Sphere monos and a lot cooler, enjoy! Francesco is great to deal with and i would not hesitate to try anything they build.

Yes there is a buzz. I just built mine in about 3 hours today, but had turned it on before connecting inputs/outputs and soldering. The buzz was worrying and annoying at first....no nice click with the Hypex modules, but the LED turned on and inside the chassis the buzz is not audible. Has anyone found out whether it's a problem? Seems to be something most people experience.

Dead 1200AS2

My 1200AS2 amplifier died last month and the replacement module is much more quiet and sounds a bit sweeter too.

I'm still a bit worried about it's longevity though as it's mounted in a sealed case. Could local heat buildup be the cause of their failure? I'm especially wary about this as I also had 2x dead SMPS600 in NC400 monoblocks a year before which was also blamed to a case without airflow...

Old thread I know but I have experienced this on a Nord unit with 1200AS2. I think it's worth pointing out there's 'buzzing' and there's 'BUZZING'. My issue sounded like arching inside the case, I took it to Nord HQ earlier in the year and they couldn't replicate the issue despite having the unit running for days. It was mid pandemic lockdowns so I wasn't able to take it around to other people's houses to eliminate our house electrics from enquiries but I did try unplugging everything else in the house, just in case.

In the end I got a replacement module (updated model) and haven't had the buzzing since. I still have the old module and plan to resurrect it in a DIY case perhaps and see if it still happens.

FYI I did shoot a little video while troubleshooting - it was louder than it appears in the video: Nord Two ICE1200AS2 - makes a strange noise - YouTube but hopefully you can make it out.

My 1200AS2 amplifier died last month and the replacement module is much more quiet and sounds a bit sweeter too.

I'm still a bit worried about it's longevity though as it's mounted in a sealed case. Could local heat buildup be the cause of their failure? I'm especially wary about this as I also had 2x dead SMPS600 in NC400 monoblocks a year before which was also blamed to a case without airflow...

My first 1200AS2 died as well after a year. The heat buildup inside a case is an issue. The amplifier draws 35watts idle. Almost all of this 35watts is transformed into heat. The cases from North Audio don't have enough air circulation. The transformer is one of the elements that heats up considerably when in a closed case. There are a lot of capacitors in close proximity of the transformer. This heat can't be good for their longlivity, it can easily reach 90 degrees. When I received my new amp module I replaced the top of the amp case with a fully vented one and put a quiet fan (can't hear it with my ear against the case) on the amp module. Temperature has dropped to 35-40 degrees.

There is a cheap solution to totally closed cases. If you analyze the problem, it is not the average temperature inside, but the overheating of local parts. In an open case the hot air will rise and cold air replace it. This convection is very limited inside the closed box. Drilling holes on top and bottom would minimize such a problem, but is usually not the way to go. As a side effect this leads to a dust problematic that kills just as many electronics as overheating. The solution is to place a slow running fan inside the cabinet, to circulate all air. If you direct it to hot parts ( IR thermometer), even better, but not even necessary. That way you make the whole case your cooling area. The average temperature will drop only a little, but the important local hot spots are eliminated.

There are very silent, slow running, long life PC fans available, even with a thermostatic rpm control. Expect to pay 7 to 15$ for a good one. If you place them on some rubber or foam, there will be no noise outside. You should always find some 5-12 V house keeping voltage inside any amp. If you only find a higher voltage for easy access, up to 35 V, get a small, adjustable LM317 linear or LM2596 switching DC-DC regulator module from ebay. They are about 1-2 $ a piece, postage more expensive than the part. Maybe order 3 for a few $ more for spares and trial.
You can not only supply 12 V to the fan, but also throttle any unregulated one down. They usualy start to run around 5 V.
I do that for decades to make annoying fans silent. Good way to tame PA-amps for home use, too. The larger the slower they run.

Google:
LM2596 DC Step Down
LM317 DC-DC Linear
Arctic Cooling
case fan
be quiet!
Thermaltake
Noctua