Ibanez TBX15R - Broken

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My bad, i forgot how capacitors worked for a minute. Back on track now

I've removed the capacitors which lead to the -+15V plug which has resulted in
-+21V at the plug.

I briefly connected the amp together again and powered it on (without the capacitors) - the LED's lit up nicely.

I am now in the process of testing these capacitors to figure out which ones short the circuit.

I've removed the capacitors which lead to the -+15V plug which has resulted in
-+21V :eek: at the plug.
I bet you removed not only the capacitors but the Zeners too, you will burn preamp Op Amps.
Keep checking power supply with Preamp disconnected until you get +/- 15V; only then plug preamp back.

I briefly connected the amp together again and powered it on (without the capacitors) - the LED's lit up nicely.
Does the preamp SOUND properly?
A shining LED by itself is not enough sign of preamp health.

I am now in the process of testing these capacitors to figure out which ones short the circuit.
IF any of them is the cause, they are very low in my suspect list.

Just in case junk them, and put a fresh couple there, also replace Zeners, although I wouldn´t be surprised by a solder short or similar

Hopefully a diagram will show where i am at more easily:

i drew up everything i could see between the transformer and the -+15V supply

Currently i have it hooked up as shown but without the #104 capicitors (100nF).

I think the zener diodes are on the pre-amp board

I did end up testing the amp like this and it plays well. Maybe the improvement is a product of re-soldering and tidying up much of the supply circuit.

Attachments

• Temp_Circuit Diagram.PNG
    Temp_Circuit Diagram.PNG
    105.3 KB · Views: 135
I think NOW we have +/-15V present, not before.

Suspect a solder bridge which was corrected when pulling capacitors.
Or cracked open tracks now resoldered.

I expect 15V Zeners *somewhere*, either on preamp board or on main supply one, just not nevessarily *near* filter caps or connector.
I´d follow any tracks connected to connector pins.

21 to 15V drop through 220r hints at about 27mA consumption, highish for a preamp but not impossible by any means, specially if it´s a complex one.
And Zeners would take any excess current not pulled by Op Amps and such.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.