I was handed a Genesis P51 V2.2

Dr Zeus

2010-10-17 5:12 am
Supposedly this amp is very rare, very sought after, and exceptionally good at SQ performance. This is a 6 channel low power amplifier. It has channel 1 through 4, a center channel, and lastly a subwoofer channel. i dont expect this amplifier to be all that rediculous by the looks of the 30A fuse, but none-the-less I am told this amp is hand built in England and is one of the 'best' according to a long-time installer.

This amp accepts power and powers up, only after about ~30 seconds the two long-thin resistors next to the fan get proportionally hotter than I would like. On the PCB it says these resistors should be 100R5W but are measuring 170Ohms. I'm likely going to pull them off and test them on the bench.

IMG_20101212_091700.jpg

Dr Zeus

The connector at the board for the fan has 12vDC across it, but as soon as I plug in the fan it drops to .4vDC. Spinning the fan while connected only to the volt meter generates voltage. I think the fan is OK. I hooked the fan up to 12vDC battery and it runs.

Dr Zeus

The top one in the photo hit 320 degrees F after about 5 minutes of playing time. I unfortunately do not have the top cover to this amplifier. i wonder if these resistors are supposed to be heat sync'd.

If nothing else, I think this amplifier is fine as it plays clean on all channels.

I don't think their location near the fan is an accident. I think the fan is supposed to keep them cool.

If one is getting much hotter than the other, there may be a problem. If both are at the same temperature, it may be normal.

This type of resistor (from what I can tell from the photo) appears to be made to handle high temperatures. Some resistors can withstand 500°+ continuously. Although 320°is hot, it may not mean that the resistor is in danger of failing.