I want to make studio monitors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Studio monitors are what makes your recordings. Most good studios have several sets in order to test their mix and mastering across a range of possible listening scenarios.

I visited Criteria (Miami Florida) in the early 70's and was amazed at what I saw. There were several sets of high $$$ monitors, and there was a large plywood box with a pair of 6 X 9 inch car speakers mounted in it. The engineer told me that he usually mastered at least two version of each recording, one to be played on vinyl through a home stereo, and the other for 8 track or cassette tape to be played in a car, hence the plywood box simulation of a typical 70's car stereo system.

I have also made most of my own monitor speakers, but I keep my original pair of Yamaha NS-10M Studio speakers for a reference. Everything, from an amp or preamp design, to a synthesizer module, to a recording I made of guitars, synths, and digital drums gets played and tweaked on the Yamaha's. Why, because I have had them for 20 years, and I know them. They are my reference by which all things are judged.

If you choose to make your own speakers, at least find a place where you can audition them under similar conditions with some known good monitors with the same (known) music.

The Criteria example was from a time before CD's, and the way most people hear music has changed a lot. Today one would need to test their mix mastering through some good speakers, a pair of computer monitors, and a set of ear buds. It would be a good idea to render your mix to MP3 as well as WAV and test both. Test the MP3's on a budget player through earbuds and a decent set of cans. Some MP3's on some players will mangle cymbals if they are loud enough into something that sounds like glass breaking. A little cut in the highs can fix that.

I recently bought a pair of these:

IK Multimedia | iLoud Micro Monitor — ultra-compact, high quality reference studio monitors

They are called "studio monitors" but look more like computer speakers. Their sound is much bigger than their size, and they go quite loud.

I am in the process of building a new music workstation and the iLouds would be the 4th pair of speakers. I'm not sure which will go where just yet since there is only room for 2 pair on the studio bench.

I have the Yamaha's, a pair of Cerwin Vega "typical" home theater speakers with a sub, the iLouds, and a pair of home built monitors which hold their own against the others and go louder than any of them when fed enough power. They will eat a 125 WPC tube amp cranked to the edge of clipping for hours, yet are only twice the size of the Yamahas.

i find out that 10 min drive south from my house lives a hifi speaker designer and 10 min drive north is the MOREL factory :)

im already working on a new design cabinet with the dude ive mention above.
i will use 2 X 5.5" and 1 X tweeter that i yet to choose.
so it will be very interesting, if we will manage to come up with something nice i'll post here.

cheers :)

which hifi speaker designer ? Anybody that knows how to countersink drivers in a baffle ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.