I want to build a 1-2W class a amplifier for use in a 5,25" pc expansion slot

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone.

As the topic says, i want to build a small class a amplifier (1-2W) for use in my pc and to make it fit in a 5.25" (cd-rom slot).

I love the JLH a lot and i got both 2x10, 2x15 and 2x40W versions of it and they all use either sc5200 or mj15003 output transistors. Is it possible to use something smaller for this project? Something similar to bd140?

I've googled a bit but the closest i come is 3-5W which would generate too much heat i guess.

Anyone got schematics or could give me a few tips? What modifications would i need to do to the original JLH to downscale it to 1-2W?

Thanks in advance.

I would be able to design such an amplifier.
I think you can get away with TO-220 transistors in the output.
The power supply would be 12V DC from the PC.

You are very right to say it would be 1-2 Watt.
The circuit could be very simple, of course, but Class A would be fine.

You can take a look at my new Class A circuit: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/soli...t-no-feedback-simple-circuit-great-sound.html
This would be good for 12 VDC supply, too.

JLH 69' scaled for 1 watt. Can be plugged into the PC's 12volt line for power. Heat generated is about 4 watts or so per channel with 350mA bias. Heatsinks sized to the dimensions of the height and length of the bay should work fine.

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_02 Apr. 21 01.25.jpg
    ScreenHunter_02 Apr. 21 01.25.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 288
JLH 69' scaled for 1 watt. Can be plugged into the PC's 12volt line for power. Heat generated is about 4 watts or so per channel with 350mA bias. Heatsinks sized to the dimensions of the height and length of the bay should work fine.

Thanks a lot, i think i will go for this one as i have the bd139's and only need to order the other 2 transistors.

What program did you use to create the circuit?

@Lineup: I actually found that thread in google, but i want to avoid using sc5200's unless i'll get less heat with them?

Thanks to you others as well. :)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.