I ***** up

I don't trust breakers. I've seen their contacts weld together. I've never seen a fuse fail to open.

I'd recommend that you never use a circuit breaker to protect electronic equipment. They can be slow to open, even if in good condition. If there are fuses protecting the amp, as well, the breaker is a non issue, as far as protection of the amp is concerned.

A fuse should never blow unless there is a good reason for it to blow (assuming a properly designed system). There are bad fuse types and bad fuse holders (AGU fuses and enclosed holders) but most do precisely what they're supposed to do.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Perry,
Completely agree. I've seen it as well. Fuses and breakers are a time thing before they act.

Hi Kalvinquinn,
Yes, that should have been fine. The breaker / fuse close to the battery (power source) is only there to protect the power source from a cable fault. The fuses in the amplifier protect the amplifier.

With that amount of power, I would suggest that instead of increasing available amplifier power, you should work on speaker efficiency. You get far more gains and current draw is your enemy.