I think I've condensed in only 4 Laws the guideline for the best-in-class audio chain

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
P.S:
I always liked the fusion between "serious" and "transgressive" music, Deep Purple, Emerson L And P, etc., etc.
I love early Deep Purple, Uriah Heep and Styx. Serpent Is Rising by Styx is not so loved by their fans, but it has some wonderfull recordings. -The drums in As Bad This for example. When I finally found it in the basement of a vinylstore in the 90ies. I felt empty from not having that goal anymore😀. I heard its almost Virgin tracks once and then had it transfered to digital. -Not the same but...☺
Cheers!

But the kinds of distortions are different. And Geddes has shown that the usual measures we take for distortion measurement ar enot very useful.

dave
I think usefull but often inadequate. For example I believe that some tests, but not the most used for comparing vinyl to cd, would show that vinyl has its sonic advantages compared to cd besides its measurably inferiour performance in other areas. I base this only on my hearing and a gut feeling. I dont have much technical knowledge.
Cheers!

Ops, maybe, after all the speakers are the most distorted components of the chain, right ?

:D

I regard that as common knowledge.Still I think that good measuring source ad amp generally makes a difference. Pass's designs often do not measure particularly welll,but I Imagine the right tests could reviel qualities that we dont focus on as much as thd. I never heard Pass amp

If you know that why go thru the effort ?

Because I know more than 'that'. I don't hide behind what other people said or wrote, I wrote things that I experienced myself. You talked about 'nuance' or micro details etc, what do you know about all that? Only good ears who know about it and if you are one, you will have no problem identifying the YT files I mentioned. My intention about the files was to say to OP that if he had tried enough he might end up with extra ordinary amps, amp that for example transparent enough so it will show how good one of the YT files is and how bad the other one is. I can say that because I have such amps. Amps like VSSA will not be able to do it. If people say that YT files are bad bla bla bla, it mostly is people trying to restate what other people said, trying to say that his standard is much higher than that, not really trying to say the truth. Such people will fail miserably in ABX test of comparing files of YT quality versus a better format.

A good measuring system could be terrible to hear.

I disagree with this MANTRA. Amps can sound different regardless of THD. Lack of distortion should give nothing but goodies. If your system is measured good but it is terrible to hear then you measured the wrong things.

The identification of individual applause in the middle of the global mass is a way of assessing the quality of the speakers.

Using two fixed reference speakers (one is a minimum phase design) and many amp prototypes, I prefer to say that it is more about amplifier quality than speaker's. It is actually my favorite quality aspect; an amplifier that is extremely capable of separating instruments and vocals.

In Srajan's review of Bruno's Purify, he didn't mention about this quality aspect. Probably class D is still having issue with this quality aspect??

.......... If people say that YT files are bad bla bla bla, it mostly is people trying to restate what other people said, trying to say that his standard is much higher than that, not really trying to say the truth. Such people will fail miserably in ABX test of comparing files of YT quality versus a better format.
Well, it seems that it is not as you say.....:rolleyes:
" YouTube uses an audio coding called ACC-LC which means Advanced Audio Coding. This codec by default uses compression which means that the original audio has a loss (lower quality).
By using this ACC encoding, videos within the server will lose audio quality at all times. It is impossible to play music in lossless formats such as FLAC and Lossless (500-1000 kbps) in a YouTube video."

Como escuchar musica con mejor calidad en YouTube - Master Prieto - Medium
In addition, the vast majority of people who upload audio to YT, choose the lowest sampling rates (MP3 128 Kbts / sec) to make the process faster.

I disagree with this MANTRA. Amps can sound different regardless of THD. Lack of distortion should give nothing but goodies. If your system is measured good but it is terrible to hear then you measured the wrong things.

I don't think so...

I give this example, a 10 stages amplifiers with 100 db of feedback, measures well, sounds not very well, damping is infinite etc.

A class A, caps coupled output with current dumping amp measures OK vs class Ds etc, it sounds superb.

I prefer transistors in class AB , and low class A bias, for PP, or single ended with caps output. Anyways one rule could be:

1. you can always improve your sound system, there is no limit.

Well, it seems that it is not as you say.....:rolleyes:
That's what I said. You are simply restating what other has stated. Everybody knows that you can set different audio quality with YT (of course I always choose 'HD'). Now, you're ready to ABX 256k versus higher bitrate, to see if I knew what I was saying? ;)

I give this example, a 10 stages amplifiers with 100 db of feedback, measures well, sounds not very well, damping is infinite etc.
You measured the wrong things. What did you measure? What were the measurement objectives? Are you using NE5532? :D ;)

Using two fixed reference speakers (one is a minimum phase design) and many amp prototypes, I prefer to say that it is more about amplifier quality than speaker's. It is actually my favorite quality aspect; an amplifier that is extremely capable of separating instruments and vocals.

In Srajan's review of Bruno's Purify, he didn't mention about this quality aspect. Probably class D is still having issue with this quality aspect??
So long as the amp has a flat frequency and phase response and the channels are well matched this isn't an issue.

So long as the amp has a flat frequency and phase response and the channels are well matched this isn't an issue.

Sure it is not an issue. The issue is it's price hehe...

Instrument separation quality is not just nice to listen to but I think it is necessarily so in order for voices and instruments to sound natural... Many amps that is good with vocals (let's say lateral mosfet) are not good with instruments... Many amps that is good with instruments (let's say hex mosfet) are not good with vocals... You want an amp that is SOFT when producing human voices but AGGRESSIVE when producing highly dynamic instruments... Not mixed up. I observed that for an amp to be able to do those opposite traits it has to be good in instruments/voices separation.

The only way an amp will mix them up is via distortion of one form or another, you know this :rolleyes: Generally speaking even order HD will soften, odd order make more aggressive. Unless of course you have some more profound insight, that, let me guess, you aren't willing to share ;)

Yes, the question is how a soft vocal can run side by side with aggressive instrument? At the same time? I'm just starting to look into this quality aspect. No serious findings yet.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.