I think I broke something

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
it's not quite DIY as far as building it but if at all possible I would like to fix it myself. I bought an older kenwood krv7030 home theater receiver a few weeks back and everything has worked great so far. granted not the greatest quality but it works for now. the setup I have is the receiver fronts go into the high level inputs on a sub which then feeds to the front speakers as the amp has no low level input. everything else is setup just direct hard wire.
I was sitting there watching tv and had the volume up to about 1/4 way or so and then switched from the tv over to tuner on the receiver. it was real loud for about 1 second before I was able to turn it all the way. since then I only get very little sound from the speakers.
It sounds mostly higher pitched like listening through a tweeter almost but only very quiet. for that I almost have to turn the receiver up to about 1/2 or more to get some audible sound. doesn't matter if I put it to dolby or just straight stereo. it has that same weak sound through all 5 channels.the volume stays the same be it on tuner, vid1, or vid2.
I checked the fuse on the power inpu ( at least the only one I found ) and seems as though it is conducting as if I remove it the unit doesn't turn on.
rechecked all wires and plugged them back in and still the same out of all 5 channels.
I'm at a loss here guys. it was working fine one moment and then in a second after switching to the radio tuner it went downhill.
any help here guys would be welcome.

EDIT: sorry I just noticed I posted in the wrong section. might an admin be able to move it?

Nordic said:
I suspect you fried your woofers...
[/B]

Hi,

Unfortunately, so do I, although there is another possibility which immediately comes to mind.

If all of the 5 speakers are similarly deficient in bass response now and they are all connected through the woofers, as you suggest, there will probably be some high-pass circuitry inside the woofer cabinets, and this might have been damaged by this short-term excessive input signal.

Regards,

the signal wasn't that loud. the frotn speakers aer sm122's and the rears are infinity RSa speakers. I would think they should be able to handle the short burst that happened. I've had it louder then that before and had no problems it was more just too loud for the time it was being in a duplex.
the other thing with it though is it's not just that it's only high pass but it has no volume. I cranked the volume knob up all the way to 100% and was just only barely audible which at that volume it shouldn't be as even the tweets should be blaring.

I'm stumped.

rx7speed said:
the signal wasn't that loud. the frotn speakers aer sm122's and the rears are infinity RSa speakers. I would think they should be able to handle the short burst that happened. I've had it louder then that before and had no problems it was more just too loud for the time it was being in a duplex.
the other thing with it though is it's not just that it's only high pass but it has no volume. I cranked the volume knob up all the way to 100% and was just only barely audible which at that volume it shouldn't be as even the tweets should be blaring.

I'm stumped.

Hi,

Now that you have elaborated on this, I am a bit stumped, too.

You will need to establish initially where in the chain this damage has occurred, and I assume from what you have said that all of your speakers are connected via this sub, and not direct to the amp.

If this is so, can you try the speakers directly coupled to the amp, and bypass the sub for now, and if this is OK, you will know that it is the sub which is the problem?
If it doesn't seem to be the sub, can you temporarily borrow a friend's amp to substitute for your own? If you do this, keep the volume knob way down to begin with, though!

Incidentally, I don't now think that the driver has blown as would probably have been the most likely cause, in view of your further comments and the level of signal you now mention.

Good luck.

Regards,

well good news it seems to be "fixed". don't know what was going on though for sure.
I tried pushing buttons on the remote that came with teh receiver with no luck. didn't start to work till I hit the volume knob up/down. it still uses an older analog volume control and when you use the remote it has a motor that will turn the knob for you.well when I turned the knob many times by hand it did nothing much. but when we finally used the remote it started working. only guess I have is that I might of jarred it and worked teh knob loose but when the motor activated when using the remote it pulled it back into place but I dont know.

thanks for the help though guys.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.