I need to secure a pot shaft into a homemade wood knob

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2011
Is there metal inserts that can be embedded into the wood knob.?

Heathkit used to have inserts like that in their knobs. They are for a shaft with a flat.
If you can't find anything else, I could mail you a spare knob. You'd have to break
the plastic knob to release the insert, because it fits tightly and was pressed in.
You could make something similar out of a spacer if you can do metalworking.

Last edited:
Joined 2008
Paid Member
I have no idea what the dimensions are so I can only imagine what I might do. How about a sleeve/insert into the end of the knob sized to take the shaft and a threaded insert into the side at right angles to take the set-screw. Drill both holes first (taking care to get the first centred on axis and the second to intersect it on centre with and perpendicular to the first, press in the shaft insert, redrill the hole for the set-screw insert taking it through the side of the shaft insert, put in the set-screw insert and voila. As long as all the parts are sized properly and square to each other it should work well.

These one's come small enough for a set-screw, though they might recommend something else for the job.

hth

Plan B: if the pot has a knurled/striated shaft and even more if it's split, you can simply drill a slightly too small hole in the wood and pressure fit it.

Safe, knob won't wobble or fall, won't slip (sharp edges bite wood) and you can pull it whenever you wish.

Like in any plastic knob for knurled split shafts.

el00001.jpg

5x-Electrical-Rotary-Split-Shaft-Potentiometer-Pot-100K-Ohm.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.