I have a WAF problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Of course it is a serious post.
The title is perhaps a little tongue in cheek, but titles often are
Where ever did I say my beloved wife won't "Let me"?
Being married is about compromises and pleasing each other and I see nothing wrong with making the new and semi permanent subwoofers pleasing to the eye, especially the eye of my beloved life partner. I like the look of refrigerators in the corners and SWMBO does not, so compromise in appearance must be made without sacrificing my own beloved bottom octave. BTW it isn't my home; it's our home, I put down the big deposit but SWMBO pays the mortgage. Definitely not my home, our home; shared cost, shared space, shared interests :- except where the fridges in the corners were concerned.
Now back to the slot loading and FR question

Frazzled: read the thread, then comment. Lotta work sometimes...

Moondog: co-creation of a life together is a lotta work sometimes. We are 44 years into it and still learning what works and what doesn't. I like your description of what works for you. Now on to smaller subs and bigger amps, right?

Last edited:
Warning: I have not read the whole thread.

Can I ask the OP a serious question...
I assume this thread is tongue in cheek.
I get offended when I hear things like “my wife won’t let me”
I moved out of my mothers house almost 40 years ago, I work every day, pay my bills, keep a roof over my family’s head and food on the table.
There is nobody who is going to tell me what I can and can’t do in my own home.
There are 2 sides to my front door, anyone can choose to be on either side but on my side nobody get to say no to me, discussions and debates are fine but I will not be told what I can and can’t do.
No offence to anyone intended.

The easiest way to succeed in consumer electronics, or anything for that matter, is to appeal to women. Women control the purse strings; they decided everything from "where will we live" to "what is and is not allowed in the home?"

Want A Piece Of The 18 Trillion Dollar Female Economy? Start With Gender Bias

It's not an accident that B&O and Wilson are dominant in HiFi, while JBL and Infinity have been swallowed up by Samsung. My wife took one look at my Infinity PF-Rs and sent them straight to the dumpster. Probably the only reason that the Vandersteens lasted so long is because the cats like to claw on them. I sold my Summas because my wife banned them from the living room.

I worked as a finish carpenter in high end homes for many years and learned an elemental lesson: The House is Hers. Any project where the husband was actively engaged in design choices was a mess, sooner or later. Men get the garage, maybe the basement. Sexist? Whatever...

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
I guess I am really really fortunate then; as I got to do the whole kitchen [ but I am Chef by trade and training] and the dining room and had a small say in the bedroom.
I am also lucky in the The Boss has tertiary qualifications in design/building and decorating and since we have been together she has developed an appreciation of really deep bass; even if she can't actually hear anything below 40Hz, I can hear down to 30Hz if the SPL is above 85dB

I got a denon pra 1100 & poa 2200 pre/piweramp cheam because it was faulty. Wife finds the pre beautyful so it must have waf. At one point I had dali 18 mk 2, and wasnt satisfied so got a pair if Snell D. That also wasnt right. Sounded better when playing both, and she said I should keep all. Since then I think Ive abused her patience a little too much.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
OK With approval to make new boxes and other permissions granted I need to start work on designing a box to house this old woofer. So a couple of questions about stuffing and slot size.
The driver is 176mm deep and given a baffle of about 25mm thickness it will protrude 150mm into the box; I'll suspend the Fibreglass above the woofer on something and use a thin layer of polyester just to keep any stray fibres in place. In a downfiring woofer is there are there any guidelines to driver clearance from the batting?
I'm a little confused about the height of the slot also, this box will be mounted above a solid tiled section and venting onto a carpeted space. Is there a simulation program that works with a slot loaded downfiring woofer? I am tempted to just slap it together and use DSP to fix my problems but that seems like a lazy way to do things. I ordered the DSP box locally; I did not know that LSK / WES systems sold them. I'll order the microphone when I get paid next. Box height and depth are relatively fixed but width is variable from 650mm wide to 800mm wide

If there's any chance of 'stuff' dropping on the rear of the driver, then recommend either packing the stuffing in a cheesecloth bag or loosely covering the driver with it: http://img0091.psstatic.com/109888657_rare-pair-of-altecheathkit-legato-2-15-horn-driver-ebay.jpg

Altec recommended a ~1.5x minimum driver/rear wall clearance and see no reason why down-firing would make any difference.

Not aware any consumer speaker specific design program can account for carpeting nor wall or floor loading unless AkAbak does. My own experiments required calculating the vent's end correction including baffle area to determine how close it needed to be to start impacting the vent's performance.

Easiest to just experiment before finalizing its legs/rigid, massive standoff platform design [my preference]. I've done carpet loading of TLs to help damp them, but a woofer? :eek:

GM

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
I sew my own extreme cold weather clothing so I have large quantities of fabrics similar to cheesecloth here I was thinking of a screen similar to the GABriggs slot diffuser.
Fabric I have in plenty and easy to use.
I'm waiting on a mate to drop over now so we can work out a cutting list, said mate having a professional table saw and a chippie by trade, it will cost me a cheesecakeor a mudcake tho
If driver is 170mm deep into the box then I will make the slot lower to get that 1.5 clearance, it is only 30mm more than my initial sketch

Last edited:
diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
I think it might be one of theose dumb questions but if I am going to use DSP to control the sound output does box size and design really make much difference?
Yes I'll use the driver depth * 1.5 advice which will give a reasonable volume but apart from that, in a sealed box using DSP does box volume make a lot of difference?
The old driver is such a dinosaur that the standard Q=0.7 alignment needs a box of 1500 litres and the driver runs out of excursion at 100 watts anyway [ X-5%] X-Max +10% and it will handle a bit more but with the "standard" +6dB at 30Hz it is limited to !~ 108dB according to my copy of the Bagby Excell program.
2 subs separated by 3000mm and floor loaded ? Could I expect another 3dB from the room? It is a small but lossy room

Joined 2011
Paid Member
If your box is too small then you use the DSP to push out the bottom end.....
Research Linkwitz Transform circuit.
Yes, you can do it.
BUT, the power requirements for every octave lower amd 3db of boost requires 6db of power increase.
You will quickly realize that more than 1 octave you will run out of driver power handling very quickly, not to mention woofer excursion requirements.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Yep acknowledged Einric but as funds are severely limited I need to use what I have.
Power I have an excess of the drivers acceptance capability. If funds permit in the future I may be able to use a better driver capable of handling 300/500 watts but this is acceptable to SWMBO where the cash outlay is concerned
I can push them to 110dB at X-limit with 150 watts but I think they would have a short life doing so

The way I see it is you are a few cabs short. :eek:

EDIT Can't upload pics for some reason: wall of speakers | The BoomCase(C)

For some reason this year I really feel like selling all the stuff I haven't fired up in a long time. Less is more. Funds to be used for upgrades. I suggest the same to you. If that were my room, I'd have 2 floor to ceiling TH or TL in the corners painted the same as the room. I have other ideas if you want the first being entertainment center WITH DOORS.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.