• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

I found a valve amp in my garage...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
No joke. Been tidying up the garage as we hope to be moving house soon and came across a Spectone version of the venerable Mullard 5-10. I've not powered it up and have no diagram or plugs/sockets but here are two photos of the beast.

Mullard 5-10 1.jpg

and a close up of the label
Mullard 5-10 2.jpg

Now the question is: What to do? The WAF for this in the house would be near zero (tbh it's not very pretty) and I have not got time to re-house or check it over, so it's likely destination would be the local recycling facility. Unless someone on the forum wants it and is willing to come collect it (I live south of London UK).

I do not want anything for it. If there are no takers it will get recycled properly.

So there you are. If I've transgressed any Forum rules in posting this then I apologise in advance.

Cheers,

Martin

I Savcom - a fellow south Londoner.

No joke. Been tidying up the garage as we hope to be moving house soon and came across a Spectone version of the venerable Mullard 5-10. I've not powered it up and have no diagram or plugs/sockets but here are two photos of the beast.

View attachment 191016

and a close up of the label
View attachment 191017

Now the question is: What to do? The WAF for this in the house would be near zero (tbh it's not very pretty) and I have not got time to re-house or check it over, so it's likely destination would be the local recycling facility. Unless someone on the forum wants it and is willing to come collect it (I live south of London UK).

I do not want anything for it. If there are no takers it will get recycled properly.

So there you are. If I've transgressed any Forum rules in posting this then I apologise in advance.

Cheers,

Martin

Hi Martin

I found 2 Heathkits in my garage as well.
Check out the thread 'The Heathkit MA-12 a Mullard 5-10 in disguise' in the tube section at diyAudio.
If you don't want it, I am getting quite fond of my rusty 5-10's which I'm doing up as I'm tired of my SS amp.
Love to take it of your hands if you don't want it.

Cheers...Simon...:p

Hi,

Nice peace!! Yes , try to sell on e-bay.

Whatever you do, DO NOT plug it in to se if it works.

Sell it as is, "unreformed", because the electrolytic capacitors in the power supply must be reformed when its been staning for so long time. Should be done separately with a variable transformer or DC supply, under close supervision of leakage currents!!

If you just plug it in, you'll risk frying these capacitors and the mains transformer and/or rectifyer tube.

JohanB

I never thought this would create so much interest!! Pleasantly surprised.

don't do it man, keep it, you'll not regret it if you've never heard a tube amp before you may be pleasantly surprised. Put a cloth over it and tell the missus it's a parot, til you get time to fix it up.

It's only of use if I could find two. Am well aware of 'tube' or valve sound here. I have two working valve radios that are just superb. When I have time to devote I will move that way.

You could of course do the right thing and get rid of the missus.......

That would be the right thing right up to the point where she gets half the house etc. There'd be no money left for anything then.... :rolleyes:

Whatever you do, DO NOT plug it in to se if it works.

Not a chance. I am an electronic engineer by trade so well aware of this - but thanks for the warning!!

I need the space as I'm moving house soon and I can't do this justice until after I retire, so that's why I thought I would offer it up. Let me ponder a while and I'll get back to you.

Cheers, all,

Martin

Martin, it pains me to tell you that you really shouldn't give this away, as I'd love to take it off you. If you have a second room/system, you could run it in mono or you could look around ebay and find a second beat up one and restore to get stereo. Since you won't get to it untill you retire, you'll have plenty of time to shop around. Finally, I'm sure someone will buy it for a decent price if you put it on ebay.

If you do insist and others don't take it , please let me know, I'll be delighted to make it my next project.

Nikos

I see there's one on the 'bay. I'll look and see what transpires.

I take your point about a second system, but the problem is I already have second and third room systems - I even picked up a microsystem from Freecycle yesterday evening for the bathroom!! (waterproof speakers already in the ceiling)

perhaps you are all right - I shouldn't be so hasty. As I said, I'll ponder.

Thanks all

Martin

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.