I dont understand the purpose of using high end CD player over a media PC server

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Over what bandwidth pray? :p

You didn't ask for the bin size, so please don't act surprised when that wasn't the answer given to you. With all noise components down near baseline, and the measurement also including input noise, my point stands: the analog output (and that's all we care about) has no noise components within 115-120dB of max output level.

@ abraxilito

Your point being exactly what?

You spend a lot of time nit-picking about the way in which people express themselves in what are effectively conversations as though it marks some triumphal dismissal of the main thrust of their argument.

The fact that you can (gleefully) discover some minor inconsistency in the way in which people express themselves does not automatically invalidate the point they are trying to make. The conversation could proceed more profitably if you could exercise some restraint in this respect. You have to expect and tolerate a certain latitude of expression when people are not anticipating being cross-examined as though in a courtroom.

Ralph Waldo Emerson said:
A niggling consistency is the hallmark of a small mind

w

Your point being exactly what?i

Already made earlier in the thread - the -120dB figure quoted is meaningless because the measurement bandwidth has not been disclosed. It has been requested (by me) but still not revealed. The comment that 'the noise is ridiculously low' is, to date, an unsupported one.

If you would read what I write more carefully before posting then the conversation would proceed more profitably.:D

You spend a lot of time nit-picking about the way in which people express themselves in what are effectively conversations as though it marks some triumphal dismissal of the main thrust of their argument.

Examples please.

The fact that you can (gleefully) discover some minor inconsistency in the way in which people express themselves does not automatically invalidate the point they are trying to make.

Example please of me gleefully finding some minor inconsistency?

I don't understand why high end CD players (~$2000-3000USD+) are used over media PC servers.

Some people like paying more money than they need to. Their choice, I guess.

Also, it takes a bit of technical knowledge to setup music servers. Maybe that's the barrier.

And the physical involvement of getting the CD off the shelf, opening it, putting it in the player etc may have more tactile pleasure associated with it than just pressing a button on a remote that controls the server. Maybe its the same benefit that the LP crowd get from the analogue setup and playing ritual compared with CDs.

As to sound quality - no difference. Big difference in convenience and recovered shelf space though.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
To get away from numbers and pedantic nit picking.

One advantage that I find to the CD player is focus. With a CDP or turntable I can sit down and listen to a whole album with joy. With vinyl I'm often disappointed that it's over so soon. But with the music server? I tend to bounce around all over the place like a guy with a TV remote. It takes much more focus and discipline to listen thru than with the disc players. I'm I am not a short attention span type. But I do find it hard to focus with 1000s of tracks only a mouse click away.

Sometimes I just turn on the radio and let them do the programing. :xeye:

One advantage that I find to the CD player is focus. With a CDP or turntable I can sit down and listen to a whole album with joy. With vinyl I'm often disappointed that it's over so soon. But with the music server? I tend to bounce around all over the place like a guy with a TV remote. It takes much more focus and discipline to listen thru than with the disc players. I'm I am not a short attention span type. But I do find it hard to focus with 1000s of tracks only a mouse click away.

All true.

A music server has changed my listening habits compared with LP/CD. Once I got over the "track flicking" novelty I now find I listen to a wider sampling of my whole collection (via a track shuffle function) than I did with LPs/CDs. Then I was listening to whole albums (as you did) but the paradox was that there were whole sections of my collection that I was hardly listening to.

Now I find myself rediscovering music that I had forgotten about, just because in the pre-server days I couldn't be bothered getting the LP/CD off the shelf.

There are many variables.... clocking, which decoder chip the DAC is using, quality of the cable....

The only time it will sound the same is when you prove it side by side.....

A " high end CD player" may not make a good Transport only..... And its TOSLINK may not be the best output choice.... I happen to like TOS with a really good cable...other people like co-ax. It depends alot on the implementation.

jk

True, the toslink optical cable quality makes a difference. I'm using a monoprice premium(low priced) toslink cable, don't know if that's good enough.

I agree. I also use a USB pen into the WD TV Live, but I have replaced the supplied wallwart with a 12V 2.5A linear PSU.
During a recent listening session we played both .flac and .wav files of the same track through the WD TV Live. Our gear was pretty high resolution, but the .wav file sounded better. The .flac version sounded veiled in comparison
. I expect this will be due to converting back to.wav on the fly, and PSU interaction issues inside the WDTV Live.
SandyK

I just tried the WD with a Pyramid Linear PSU. My ears can't hear the difference, though I have not switched back and forth yet.

I did all my songs with FLAC and went back to .wav so there would be
no compression/decoding required.

Like others have mentioned, the high end cd players have to deal with
the cd transports, mechanical, jitter issues.

If the hard drive read's the 1' and 0's, then all that's left is the DAC.

The question is if the PC DVD/CD Rom drive that read the music
cd in the first place is as accurate/correct as a high end cd player during the ripping process :eek:

for me, it's an issue of convience, switching to different songs on the fly, or creating a playlist, with the CD player, it's one CD at a time.

boconnor hit the nail on the head with his earlier statement....

for some of us its a barrier we just couldnt care to overcome.

Is it better......probably......is the % its better the time it would take for me to learn all the tech stuff worth it....prob not. At least not for a guy like me.
I researched my higher end player......looked at reviews.....bought it....opened the box and started to use it.

I know this is a DIY forum.....but its for all aspects. I couldnt design an amp, nor do I have the yearning,for some people its their calling. For others its cable building, speaker building or room treatments. I'm sure the guy that is totally into room treatments cant figure why the server guys are for the most part listening in untreated rooms......If 1k for a piece of equipment is too much, I will assume that for them, rooms and the $ it takes to treat them are a secondary concern. I guess its just what your personally into as far as being an audio nut.....and what you care to spend your hard earned dollars on.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I'm willing to disregard opinion of anybody here below 50.

Then you can trust me. ;) I'm over 50 and my speakers contain Alnico.

I also use a music server. It was a big step for me, just didn't want the hassle. (Even tho I started toying with computer sound in 1979! OK, I'm slow.) Now that the server is up and running, it's unlikely I'll ever look back.

I'm willing to disregard opinion of anybody here below 50
Fine by me. I am beyond 60 and had the idea of a music server in 2000 - at that time I would have needed about 5000$ for storage alone, so I dropped that idea till prices came down and storage density improved. Now my CD collection in flac just fills halve a HDD.

I also am quite fond of the availability of some hard to find stuff in flac on bit torrent sites. Stuff I had been looking for since I got back into serious audio in the early 90's.
Downloaded and copied onto the HDD, without the inconvenience burning it onto a disc.

Last edited:
"A conversation in the year 2020"

Human: Computer?
Computer:Ready.
Human: I'd like to listen to some music
Computer:There are Sixty five billion four hundred twenty-two million seven hundred ninety two thousand one-hundred forty three entries available, Specify.
Human: Some Rock & Roll
Computer:Specify Era, Genre
Human: Eighties, "Hair bands"
Computer: There are Five thousand two hundred seventy nine tracks available. Specify.
Human:Year 1984, play all, random please.
Computer: Playing all tracks, random, one hundred thirty seven tracks, total time Eleven Hours fourteen minutes. Thank you.

Human: Computer?
Computer:Ready.
Human: I'd like to listen to some music
Computer:There are Sixty five billion four hundred twenty-two million seven hundred ninety two thousand one-hundred forty three entries available, Specify.
Human: Some Rock & Roll
Computer:Specify Era, Genre
Human: Eighties, "Hair bands"
Computer: There are Five thousand two hundred seventy nine tracks available. Specify.
Human:Year 1984, play all, random please.
Computer: Playing all tracks, random, one hundred thirty seven tracks, total time Eleven Hours fourteen minutes. Thank you.

I want that now!!;)

Then you can trust me. ;) I'm over 50 and my speakers contain Alnico.

I also use a music server. It was a big step for me, just didn't want the hassle. (Even tho I started toying with computer sound in 1979! OK, I'm slow.) Now that the server is up and running, it's unlikely I'll ever look back.

OK ,I give up:) I asked that before but ...My friend has a neat CD collection and is moving .I'd like to copy some of his stuff. On other thread I was told to get a "blue ray" burner. Let say I don't want to invest $1k on server just yet. What program and what is minimal hardware requirements to get HQ copy ?

OK ,I give up:) I asked that before but ...My friend has a neat CD collection and is moving .I'd like to copy some of his stuff. On other thread I was told to get a "blue ray" burner. Let say I don't want to invest $1k on server just yet. What program and what is minimal hardware requirements to get HQ copy ?

Any reply can quickly get into a flame war. Anyway, an easy value for money solution (one of many) is: iTunes (free) + any reasonable PC CD burner (doesn't have to be blu-ray). Rip using Apple lossless format if uncompressed matters to you, else AAC Plus format to get savings on storage space while still having high quality sound.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.