I don't believe cables make a difference, any input?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just wondering, has anyone ever made any measurements of cable performance? I mean, if there is difference between two cables, then this should eventually result in a change of the electricity going through the speakers. Although I am not at all experienced in hifi-measurements, isn't it possible to connect some kind of measuring equipment in parallel to a speaker and construct a plot of voltage vs time. This graph of the same musical passage should look noteably different for two different cables if there is any difference between them. Correct me if I'm wrong in anything here.

By the way, I am a semi-believer. I have a roughly 1500$ system all in all, including speakers, and bought an RCA-cable for approx 100$ and did a comparison between that one and RCA-cables that are practically free, and my main noted difference, objective or not, was the balance between overtones in e.g. piano music, with the more expensive cable the piano did sound more warm and lively.

The power loss in speaker cable or any non coaxial transmission line is (I^2*R), current squared time resistance. Whether speaker cable loss is noticeable depends largely on the power level through the cables. Is it important if one cable is 4 feet and the other is two feet, not really. But if we are talking about 50 or 100 feet then yes it is significant and cable lengths should be equalized.

Some manufactures of speaker cable will boast of independent strands to reduce skin effect. This is bull because skin effect doesn't occur until radio frequency is reached and becomes increasingly more significant with an increase in frequency.
At the low end of the RF bandwidth it's not even a concern at all.

An 8 ohm speaker may have a DCR of around 6 ohm not including the complex impedance of the speaker. The DCR of a speaker is effectively in series with the speaker so your amplifier is always, seeing at least the DCR. This may very only by the crossover network in the speaker and number of speakers in the system. So at what cable resistance does the loss become significant?

Speaker cable follows the same electrical physics that any other wire does.

95% of all said about high end speaker cable is just marketing.

Do the math and make sound decisions.

This argument also applies to damping factor.

David.

Really for the most part I think there is a ton of misinformation out there. BUT imho it can not be overemphasized enough that in a multichannel system the channels should be as electrically matched as possible. The speakers for all intents and purposes MUST be identical twins. Ideally the loudspeakers (with the aid of a phase linear offsett of the crossover) should be able to cancel an inverted square wave from the other opposing speaker.

If good is good enough, don't mind. :)

There are more to it than power loss but even ignoring that, put an active load on the other end of the cable and do the calculations again. ;)

Thanks, but some days I do misread things. "I" of course is not what amplifiers provide it is V with an I limit. It is the power loss in the cable but not the total since the amplifier is modeled as a constant voltage device so the total load impedance goes up thus a greater loss of power than normally assumed and often wrong in many available tables.

I'm just wondering, has anyone ever made any measurements of cable performance? I mean, if there is difference between two cables, then this should eventually result in a change of the electricity going through the speakers. Although I am not at all experienced in hifi-measurements, isn't it possible to connect some kind of measuring equipment in parallel to a speaker and construct a plot of voltage vs time. This graph of the same musical passage should look noteably different for two different cables if there is any difference between them. Correct me if I'm wrong in anything here.

By the way, I am a semi-believer. I have a roughly 1500$ system all in all, including speakers, and bought an RCA-cable for approx 100$ and did a comparison between that one and RCA-cables that are practically free, and my main noted difference, objective or not, was the balance between overtones in e.g. piano music, with the more expensive cable the piano did sound more warm and lively.

For approx. $150 you can measure all those differences and really know if its true ;)

Some years ago,a customer came to the store and was asking for a speaker cable that at that time cost around $4000+ for the length he required including termination.I asked him if he was sure he wanted that and suggested that he heard other options too.He replied no,I want that one.After a brief discussion it was obvious he wouldn't change his mind.In the afternoon of the same day,his cables were installed in his system-an expensive one and very good sounding system too-and everybody was happy.Where is the problem with that sale,or the salesman in your opinion?The only thing that could change for that customer is the sales man that would get his money.Tell me about those with an expensive car,huge houses,and everything else around you.A good sales man can sell almost anything.As for the expensive stuff?No difference whatsoever.Some people may charge you unbelievable money for just sending you a letter,or see you for a few minutes and tell you which medicine to buy..........Are we living on the same planet?

Im wondering why you even questioned him considering you might lose the sale.

There is a difference in selling products to people that want them and telling a customer that walks in that those expensive cables will improve their system to a point where they will have orgasims instantly....subjectively speaking ;)

Im all for people buying what they want, spending money is a great thing for any ecomony. Subjective exaggerations is what need to checked at the door since most people can be convinced of almost anything.

Really for the most part I think there is a ton of misinformation out there. BUT imho it can not be overemphasized enough that in a multichannel system the channels should be as electrically matched as possible. The speakers for all intents and purposes MUST be identical twins. Ideally the loudspeakers (with the aid of a phase linear offsett of the crossover) should be able to cancel an inverted square wave from the other opposing speaker.

The manufactures must be handing out some really crappy cable with the surround sound systems for it to be such a huge concern. I thought we were talking about sufficient cable as compared to $1200.00 a pair cable.

I can see your point with surround sound with all that's going on.

David.

Speaker cable and coaxial signal cable are too different animals. Coaxial cable has different properties.

Im wondering why you even questioned him considering you might lose the sale.

Only to point out that there are sales men and sales men.Generalizing sales men as I think Markus did,might imply that all sales men are a disease,or perhaps I would be a better sales man(even person)and meet Markus's standards,if I let that sale lost.Am I in peace with myself?You bet I am.

Last edited:
Back to reality -

Yes, cables for HD video and multi-channel audio are an entirely different thing. The cable can make a huge difference. Take Ethernet for example. The cable can be the limiting aspect of performance. But audio signals are ssslllooooowww. Thats why you can digitize 7 of them into a single wire without too much trouble at all.

I'd love to see you prove me wrong :)

'Cmon, how can you live with yourself buying from diseased (shady?) folk everyday. The sales person may be many layers away from you amytime you buy bread, apples, icecream, interconnects.

How do these shoes feel sir? That's good, they match your belt too. What's diseased about that?

Anyway the idea that well a constructed cable of adequate gauge in plain clothes is somehow inferior to fancily dressed (or re-dressed) cable of the same guage is just dumb. A bit like the same guy (or girl) dressed for the weekend or dressed for work, still the same guy (or girl).

Here folks is my cable. I buy it in 100 meter rolls from an autoshop. It's black and thick and strong. It also sounds just fine.

Cheers

Attachments

• cable.jpg
    cable.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 97
The manufactures must be handing out some really crappy cable with the surround sound systems for it to be such a huge concern. I thought we were talking about sufficient cable as compared to $1200.00 a pair cable.

I can see your point with surround sound with all that's going on.

David.

Well I dunno what it is that makes me so sensitive to it but if something is even a little off on the left side of a good system and not the right side or vice versa it is really obvious to me. Really I don't think my actual hearing is even that good or should be able to detect something so small. But I've done it to myself a bunch of times with very small deviations that just drove me nuts. People will tell you it's the room, it's your ears etc.. Nope it's electrical.

It's not so much the degradation or anything audiophile like keeping the signal pure. You can distort the crap out of the signal as long as you distort it the same on both sides.

Status
Not open for further replies.