I don't believe cables make a difference, any input?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish to point out something here that AJ does not appear aware of. First, my Wilson speakers have 'Superior' (brand name) banana connectors, and these were specifically chosen for their tight fit, even usable with a Torque Wrench tightening. These were selected for the original Wilson speakers by Dave Wilson, himself, and Parasound uses the SAME connectors on the JC-1 power amp, at our insistence. My speaker connecting wire is Cardas, and not especially pure. It is more 'geometry' than purity in this case that separates it from typical wires.
Also, I was asking here about CONNECTING wire differences, not speaker wire differences in my previous question.

So as an EE, you believe in making the electrons ecstatic only in the (tiny) IC part of the circuit, the heck with them elsewhere eh?
Nice ;).

I'm not saying AJ's wrong, I just never heard of anyone ever talking about using or owning a "custom" Fostex driver
Tom, I confirmed they were indeed custom FF165K, not 206ESR. I'll get the whole Engineer story again from Dave next time I see him.

The important thing is only whether you can hear cables on your current system drivers, not what driver is used. Are you familiarized enough yet with the new CD player? If so, maybe you can start practicing with the wire swap.
If you're not comfortable with me coming over when SY does the test, would you like me to come over prior, to hear your system and maybe assist you in practicing a bit of cable swapping under test like conditions (IOW, physically perform a few swaps with you out of the room or a curtain in front of the equipment (not speakers)?

cheers,

AJ

Actually, I have in front of me: 'Electronic Properties of Materials' by Rolf E. Hummel. Excellent book. If you go to pp. 84-85 of this book, you will see a graph and corresponding equations.
I did have some personal correspondence with Dr. Hummel a while back and I'm pretty sure that he pointed out that 'vacancies' do not actually increase resistance by the DRUDE model of electronic current flow, because it also increases the 'relaxation time'. However, the quantum mechanical model solves this problem.
Interestingly enough, a few pages later I found something amazing (to me) so I called up Jack Bybee to verify it, as he is using a similar conductive process in his best conductors. It is called 'long range ordering' of certain alloys. Jack and I agreed that this was significant. To be honest with you, we are working at another level.

Interestingly enough, a few pages later I found something amazing (to me) so I called up Jack Bybee to verify it, as he is using a similar conductive process in his best conductors. It is called 'long range ordering' of certain alloys. Jack and I agreed that this was significant. To be honest with you, we are working at another level.

If you're working at another level, then it shouldn't be difficult for you to explain what long range ordering is, and how it occurs in non-ferromagnetic materials. For extra points, you can explain why it would be desirable in something such as an audio cable.

se

The old Egytians have use silver-gold amalgams. It has a name in german i can find out.
After syn08 has posted on my thread my brain is a black hole. I have not heard of gold-copper alloys before. Actually i worked in the 90th with a company in sweden called Habia. They supplied cables for the european Ariadne rocket that was very low noise when put under extremely high exceleration and shaking. We worked on a gold-copper-silver cable. Gold on the inside, then copper, then silver on the outside. The idea was to reduce the skin effect before braiding.

the name for gold-silver alloy in german is "Elektrum". Under certain conditions it is more conductive then silver. As far as i understand the rationate pure silver with no contamination is not posible to make. The gold then fills in the otherwise poluted aereas. Very esoteric and expesive, don´t you think! Invest in my new cable company and success is guarantied in asia !

Joachim, please READ UP, before putting me in a bad spot. Almost anyone here can at least TRY to learn something new, before dismissing it. I gave a specific book and page numbers. The book is published by Springer-Verlag, and is one of dozens that I have that are in general, outside my normal 'need to know' in electronic engineering. In this case 2 specific alloys were specified: AuCu and Cu(3)Au. These specific alloys show a significantly lower resistivity than other proportions of any Au Cu alloy mixtures. There is a graph showing this to be so. Why, does this happen? Could it be useful? I only brought it up, because that is where my interests lie, not in trying to see if I can get away with something almost acceptable from the hardware store.

Actually, I just work at another level, and it is distracting to be told that I don't know what I am researching.
Yet you continually descend from the Mount, down to the level of the mere mortals and speak at them...only to be distracted. Why?:confused:
How are we to ever sort out these mystic (audible??) cable properties, if you are always distracted?
Is this why we still have no data, but instead references to "Jack Bybee" or "pg 88"? The relevance to the audibility of cables is.....???

Maybe low resistivity is not the only factor that makes good sound. Some of us subjectivists prefer copper to silver. In cartridge making it is a matter of fact that cartridge designers use different materials to "tune" the sound of their products. In the perfect world tuningis of cause bad but to this day i have to hear the "perfect" system.
Perfect recording, perfect listening room etc.
What is hard to argue that many times you have to intruduce a "mistake" to make a system sound well under the circumstances.
What makes we really woried here is the growing gap between "theoretists" and practinioners in the field.

Status
Not open for further replies.