I don't believe cables make a difference, any input?

Status
Not open for further replies.
diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

;)

Theoretically I would say it should be the best way to make a larger gauge cable but only if the length and quality of every strand is the same.

Unfortunately it doesn't work that way. Too much insolation material added I guess.

Unfortunately I have to agree, since the loudness war must be at it's limits, we can only hope that the next in-thing will be quality recordings.

Well, if we want 50's to 60's recordings back we'll have to convince the boss that there's a viable market.
I don't see it happen in general even though the guys at Blue Note seem to be able to polish Rudy Van Gelders' simple miking recordings to an extent where you're hard pushed to believe that that was actually on tape to begin with....
Another case of squeezing the old lemon?

Yet, as you suggest, the writing's on the wall.
Quality or quantity, that's question....

Cheers, ;)

Hi,

They're as common as muck but they're definitely NOT the type of conductor I'd recommend for anything audio.

Cheers, ;)

Thick stranded cable with gel flux to pull the solder through/inside it can make a big thickness at the power tracks which decreases inductance of the power tracks, along with the corresponding decrease of heat, expense, and noise. . . . or I could shell out the bucks$ to get a pre-printed circuit board with thick tracks and big pads.

Thank you for an applied example! I don't have the skill to calculate this except for an estimate;

I don't remember if you're one of the folks that's been using LTspice, but if you are, there's a transmission line model that you can use to examine the effects of reflections and such with a transient sim. IOW, you get a wave that travels along the cable, bounces off the load (if it's not matched), then comes back, bounces off the source again and combines with the original signal. You can see some really funky ringing going on as the result of the "hall of mirrors" effect of reflection and recombining with mismatched lines. Give me a shout if you're interested in looking at that.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Why is it besides the point? Its not audio in a cable?

How do you know there "accurate". Where you in the room with the musicians when they were recorded? As stated earlier its an illusion.

Recording engineers dont measure anything when they record except level and sometimes phase for mono compatability.

Besides the point as in it wouldn't have mattered either way.

Sure, I've been present at dozens recordings and being acquainted with a few recording engineers one only gets the impression that they're working to make a product, not a faithful recording. Big surprise....

Surely every artist is happy to see his canvas painted over....:spin: Which, incidentally is what happens all the time, like it or not.

Cheers, ;)

I remember, back at the broadcast division with microwave antenna arrays to assemble, we had to prepare and cut the coax to the elements to mm accuracy. The effects were easilly measured here - a couple of mm the wrong way and the thing wouldn't have a hope of being adequately tuned.

I hope the audiophiles are doing the same with their individual L/R channel cables! :dead:

I was amazed when someone first showed me that when you measure the insertion phase of a flex cable at X-band with a VNA, then flex the cable, the phase changes quite a bit. We used all semi-rigid coax for the test equipment for that reason.

I don't remember if you're one of the folks that's been using LTspice, but if you are, there's a transmission line model that you can use to examine the effects of reflections and such with a transient sim. IOW, you get a wave that travels along the cable, bounces off the load (if it's not matched), then comes back, bounces off the source again and combines with the original signal. You can see some really funky ringing going on as the result of the "hall of mirrors" effect of reflection and recombining with mismatched lines. Give me a shout if you're interested in looking at that.

Well, unfortunately, I'm in need of a book perhaps titled "LTSpice for Beginners" because I've only gotten it to work productively once.

However, I'm aware of the effect that you describe. Its a really big problem with radio transmitters. The output transistor doesn't like to run backwards (just like diodes don't like to run backwards).

Question:
How does a bridged amp differ in this regard and also how does it differ at the return signal to the groundpoint of the nfb voltage divider, since a bridge amp doesn't connect that point directly to a speaker?
Also, there's some experiences with the famous miniature Tripath and any other cleaned up car amp (Class A, Class AB, Class ABC, Class G/H, Class D), in that the bridged amp has a "lesser drive" (?) which makes a loss that seems to, not only increase the lowest bass notes from a given speaker but also fit these pitches into rooms that don't measure large enough for the wave--as in much lower bass that's quite a bit louder. This puzzles me no end, but I like the results all except for one: Clarity at long range, such as multi-room performance from a single speaker, auditoriums, and outdoors, is reduced to half distance.

Well, the basic question on "how does a bridge amp differ. . ." turned into one heck of a question.

Well, if we want 50's to 60's recordings back we'll have to convince the boss that there's a viable market.
I don't see it happen in general even though the guys at Blue Note seem to be able to polish Rudy Van Gelders' simple miking recordings to an extent where you're hard pushed to believe that that was actually on tape to begin with....

So you want mono back? And what do you think they where using for cable back then? And tape machines not to mention tape hasnt changed. Your ears are stuck in nostalgia.

Question:
How does a bridged amp differ in this regard and also how does it differ at the return signal to the groundpoint of the nfb voltage divider, since a bridge amp doesn't connect that point directly to a speaker?
Also, there's some experiences with the famous miniature Tripath and any other cleaned up car amp (Class A, Class AB, Class ABC, Class G/H, Class D), in that the bridged amp has a "lesser drive" (?) which makes a loss that seems to, not only increase the lowest bass notes from a given speaker but also fit these pitches into rooms that don't measure large enough for the wave--as in much lower bass that's quite a bit louder. This puzzles me no end, but I like the results all except for one: Clarity at long range, such as multi-room performance from a single speaker, auditoriums, and outdoors, is reduced to half distance.

To be honest, I don't quite understand what you're asking. It doesn't seem to relate to the present cable discussion at any rate. So it should probably be dealt with in another thread. It would help to have a schematic to refer to for each question and to separate the questions, dealing with each one by itself.

Hi,

Those were early stereo recordings made by people who actually wanted to record the event not produce an event.

As for the cables, well we'll probably never know what it could have been like will we?

Point being, record it instead of producing it, right?:spin:

Cheers, ;)

As soon as you record an event you produce an event (make a product). You think they weren't thinking about selling it? As far as the cables, look inside a vintage piece of gear (like an old tube mic/mic amp unit), its nothing special.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Speaking of minimal mics. 2 years ago at RMAF a fellow from Sausilito stopped by our room. He played a few of his own recordings and they were wonderful. Just "wet" enough to give you the sense of space, but no loss of detail or tonal balance. Piano was really nice.

I asked him how he did it, he said "One stereo mic." He obviously had a knack for placement.

Got his card but never go an email answer from him. Would have loved to have some of his stuff. "Log Cabin Recording". Anyone know him?

Status
Not open for further replies.