I am so dissapointed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a Sony STR de-545 HT amp. I was trying to figure out the receiver's crossover frequency for the mains/subs so I could plan a new speaker system, and it looks like no matter what HT setting is used, the receiver cuts all the bass out of the mains at 300hz. That means that from 80-300hz I have nothing. Really disappointed in Sony right now.

Have you looked through it's settings for a large/small front speaker option? A lot of HT receivers have this and it usually effects the crossover point.

EDIT: I browsed through the manual and there is a setting for the speaker size. Check page 16 and 17 for details.

http://129.33.22.12/release/STRDE545.pdf

Strangely, there is no mention of the crossover frequencies anywhere in the manual.

I used a volt meter hooked up to an active speaker. Then used a signal generator and graphed the voltage from about 50-400hz. It turns out the only the center channel it cut off at 300hz. The micro speaker setting looks like a super gradual descent starting about 120 to 150 but it's hard to tell much using a volt meter :) Now that I think about it, I have to go back and do it again using a 10 ohm resistor. Don't know why I didn't think about the speaker impedance. :rolleyes:

Yep, I sure did. I made a graph using "normal" speaker setting with bass boost on and off. Also made a graph for "micro" speaker setting with boost on and off. Center channel didn't matter what setting I used, but the mains were all effected. I still have to redo it with the resistor, but I am glad to know it looks normal because now I can start my speaker project.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.