Hypex switcheroo advisable?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I purchased the Audiophonics NC-252MP stereo amp while it was on sale for 396 euros. A few days later I found the NC-502MP module available for $300 and couldn’t help myself. I am listening to the Audiophonics right now, and wondering if I could just.... swap out the board? The size is roughly equal, and the cables should be interchangeable. I was about to order the DIY kit, but I figure I could just upgrade this one and sell the 252MP.

Setting aside how stupid this is, just wondering if there are any drawbacks or things to look out for. I have thermal paste from my pc building days laying around, so that’s not an issue.

Thanks!

PS based on my very limited listening, the Hypex is basically flawless. Pretty sure this is the last amp I’ll be using for a long time.

The NC252MP is 170*105*42mm and the NC502MP is 230*115*47mm, so the larger module might not fit in the case, but if the cables are the same, and the power supply is built in to each, I see no other reason why you couldn’t swap out the modules.

If you do so successfully, let me know. I may be interested in buying your 252 module.

The NC252MP is 170*105*42mm and the NC502MP is 230*115*47mm, so the larger module might not fit in the case, but if the cables are the same, and the power supply is built in to each, I see no other reason why you couldn’t swap out the modules.

If you do so successfully, let me know. I may be interested in buying your 252 module.

Well, I feel pretty dumb!

At any rate, I still think I’d like to build the 502 amp. Worst case I’ll sell it in a bit.

I can’t find any correct chassis available! I know there are no pre mades for the 502 (that I can find) , but I’d sure be interested in something close. Maybe a mono block chassis?

Honestly, the 252 is so goddamn loud I don’t know why I bothered....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.